URGENT PLEASE: Snow Leopard/CS5 question

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

URGENT PLEASE: Snow Leopard/CS5 question

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:40 am

Alicia has a shoot tomorrow, so as a surprise, I hired a D4 for her.

She hasn't updated her OS and is stuck on about 10.5.8.

She needs at least CS5 to download the files (or current Lightroom, etc). However, these all require Snow Leopard 10.6.8. However, we can't download, even to buy, 10.6.

Not sure if I have explained myself, but, failing a trip to the Apple store and speaking with a genius, can anyone suggest where to find 10.6 to then update to 10.6.8? From there we can upgrade to CS5.

Many thanks
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: URGENT PLEASE: Snow Leopard/CS5 question

Postby PiroStitch on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:27 am

Try this. Make sure you have backups and backups of the backups
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:32 am

It looks like we have been able to get around the PS issue using CS3, but this is a temporary solution. We will still need to upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard, which is becoming difficult.

Thanks Wayne. That may be an option.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Patrick - I don’t know if I am off beam here but OSX Lion has been removed from the Apple store since the release of Mountain Lion.

Maybe purchase Mountain Lion through the Apple store it’s only $20.99 and use that.Back up all files and do a clean install.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:24 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Patrick - I don’t know if I am off beam here but OSX Lion has been removed from the Apple store since the release of Mountain Lion.

Correct. Which creates a problem ....

Maybe purchase Mountain Lion through the Apple store it’s only $20.99 and use that.Back up all files and do a clean install.

The problem that Patrick faces is that there's no direct upgrade path from 10.5.x to Mountain Lion, and, as you said, Apple have removed all of the intermediate versions that he needs from sale.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:15 pm

I forgot that Mountain Lion is only applicable to certain Mac models - so what Gary has said is correct.

These are the only models that can use Mountain Lion

MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:33 pm

I had this same problem only a few weeks ago. Was trying to upgrade a friend's MBP. I ended up having to beg/borrow a copy of Snow Leopard which then enabled me to transition to Mountain Lion. Gotta say, it was the first time I really was frustrated by Apple and their 'force' to restrict the update process.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions