Dust on sensor

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Dust on sensor

Postby haydef on Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:49 am

I try to read about cleaning , but to start to tell about my
ignorance I do not even know where the sensor is... Well can you
explain in detail for a total novice? I have a dust on the top middle
left of all images and psd is a bit tiring after a while!
thanks
Regards
Haydee
haydef

Postby MattC on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:01 am

Haydef,

For detailed instructions on wet sensor cleaning try this link:
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
First thing however would be to try removing it with a blower. The Giotto Rocket (the large one) is what most would reccomend.
Also, if you add your location to your profile, I am certain that you will find someone to show you if you are not confident with sticking things into the chamber.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Re: Dust on sensor

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:24 am

haydef wrote:I try to read about cleaning , but to start to tell about my
ignorance I do not even know where the sensor is... Well can you
explain in detail for a total novice? I have a dust on the top middle
left of all images and psd is a bit tiring after a while!
thanks
Regards
Haydee

Welcome Haydee,
Pls. have your location in your profile so members can help you more easier if you're around Australia or just nearby one of the mini meets.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:05 am

To locate (and clean) the sensor, you need to first of all make sure that your battery is fully charged. You (obviously ) should be working in a relatively clean, dust free environment.

Turn your camera off and remove the lens.

Turn the camera on.

Looking at the back of the camera, select the menu, and select the "Mirror Lock Up" option from the menu.

Turn the camera towards you. You will see, towards the rear of the interior of the camera, a rectangular flat sction.

That is your sensor.

Please refer to the link provided above for cleaning the sensor.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alex on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:17 am

gstark wrote:To locate (and clean) the sensor, you need to first of all make sure that your battery is fully charged. You (obviously ) should be working in a relatively clean, dust free environment.

Turn your camera off and remove the lens.

Turn the camera on.

Looking at the back of the camera, select the menu, and select the "Mirror Lock Up" option from the menu.

Turn the camera towards you. You will see, towards the rear of the interior of the camera, a rectangular flat sction.

That is your sensor.

Please refer to the link provided above for cleaning the sensor.

Gary,

Good advice. The only correction I would make is never to turn your cammera on with lens off unless mirror is locked up. Once you remove lens with the camera on the sensor is known for attracting dust particles. In mirror lock up mode it doesn't seem to be an issue. So my version would be to:

1. Lock up mirror
2. Remove lens
3. Clean
4. Switch off (puts mirror back in normal position)
5. Lens back on

4 and 5 can be reversed.

Alex
Alex

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:31 am

Alex,

Alex wrote:The only correction I would make is never to turn your cammera on with lens off unless mirror is locked up. Once you remove lens with the camera on the sensor is known for attracting dust particles.

No, not really.

Under normal circumstances, with the lens removed from the camera, the sensor remains protected by the focal plane shutter as well as the mirror. If you rem,ove your lens and carefully lift the mirror a little way, you can actually see the shutter in place, in front of and totally obscuring the sensor, just as a shutter fully obscures the film in a film camera.

Further, that "attraction" that you're referring to as a result of the "charging" of the CCD in order to capture the exposure. Thus causes a build-up of a static electricityin the CCD, thus creating the "attraction" that you're referring to.

Normally, the CCD is uncharged, and thus this "attraction" is not present.

Further, the actual question I was answering was one of how to locate the sensor - as in where is it - rather than how to clean it.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alex on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:42 am

gstark wrote:Alex,

Alex wrote:Under normal circumstances, with the lens removed from the camera, the sensor remains protected by the focal plane shutter as well as the mirror. If you rem,ove your lens and carefully lift the mirror a little way, you can actually see the shutter in place, in front of and totally obscuring the sensor, just as a shutter fully obscures the film in a film camera.

Further, that "attraction" that you're referring to as a result of the "charging" of the CCD in order to capture the exposure. Thus causes a build-up of a static electricityin the CCD, thus creating the "attraction" that you're referring to.

Normally, the CCD is uncharged, and thus this "attraction" is not present.

Gary,

Thanks for the info. Good to know then.

Alex
Alex

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions