POTW 24 April 2012

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

POTW 24 April 2012

Postby biggerry on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Stand back everybody... POTW is here! man someone should be paying me to do this :wink:

It certainly has been a interesting week from a imaging point of view on DSLRusers corner of the web, some variations, some familiar old shots but the important point is, people are out there doing what they enjoy, photography.

I'll start with third place - Piro, i do like his BW images, whether its delibrate or not, some of teh compositions cause me to pause and think about the people in the shot, whether its purely the expressions on peoples faces or the split second they got nailed by the shutter, i really like a image that makes me stop and stare for a minute or so.

What I like about this shot is the insight it gives me to teh location and the people, the train power lines/poles, the station building behind, the tunnel and the cliff these all set the scene . The curved line of the platform sends me thru the picture nicely and finally, the people, i found myself looking at each one wondering who they are and what they are doing there at that particular time. Oh also, the low perspective angle (or knowing piro probably a hip shot) works nicely here.

oh, btw this is teh image i was referring to in this particular case.

original thread here
http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42382

Secondo place (by only a smidge)

Rodney's Star trail session, kudos for teh write up, excellent stuff that will benefit many, he deserves the accolades he has gotten across the web for this session.

I like the inclusion of the tree, whilst cliche it works well and serves to lead the viewer straight to the centre of the trail. The overall positioning of the centre of the trail is also sweet. All in all a fine effort for the first attempt and I am sure the next iteration will be as good if not better.

original thread here
http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42391&p=441904#p441904

and teh winner is (in teh words and style of the Southend song 'The winner is' - for you oldies, just google that to understand what the f i am talking about..))

Adams shot of the bikes on race day. This shot is worthy of any race day mag in my opinion, he has nailed teh timing and composition on this shot - if he tells me he did not crop it i will be even more suitably impressed.

The position of teh bike in the frame, the shutter speed, the position of teh bike on teh tarmac, ie just edging over teh cresent, the green on green colour scheme, the subtle heat haze from teh exhaust - all these aspects make teh image for me (although move the copyright Adam, it hits me in the face like copping a full nappy).

I also like the other alternate style closeup shots, points for variation, but this classic shot took the cake for me.

Well done Adam

original thread here
http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42393
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: POTW 24 April 2012

Postby CraigVTR on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 am

Great choice, love all three as well.
Congratulations Adam.
CraigVTR

Postby aim54x on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 am

Great stuff Gerry....CONGRATS Adam....that would have been a tight pick between Rodney and Adam
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby zafra52 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:47 am

Congratulations to all winners!
They are all great picutres in their
own right.
zafra52

Postby Wink on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks guys! I'm with some fine company in the other 2 guys.

Here's the original framing on the shot...

http://www.photosbyadamlee.com/photos/i ... qRXK-L.jpg

I've gotten a lot of great feedback of late. It's good to know I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks again!
Wink

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Nice work Adam (still love that shot) and thanks Gerry for the picks
Remorhaz

Postby surenj on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:56 pm

super duper!
surenj

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Congrats Adam.

[quote="biggerry"]
I'll start with third place - Piro, i do like his BW images, whether its delibrate or not, some of teh compositions cause me to pause and think about the people in the shot, whether its purely the expressions on peoples faces or the split second they got nailed by the shutter, i really like a image that makes me stop and stare for a minute or so.
[/quote]

Thanks for the mention Gerry. Getting people to stop and take a second look always is the aim :)
PiroStitch

Return to Picture of the Week