PotW 21 April 2009

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

PotW 21 April 2009

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:59 am

Another week of some excellent images, and kudos to all the photographers we share with on this forum.

Most people can use a camera adequately. We can also recognise a photogenic subject, and we can usually manage a fair fist of recording it.

Abstract photography is a little more difficult, and not a genre that we see so much of in our forum. I think it requires a more discerning eye, and certainly needs more compositional skills than some other types of image making.

I was very impressed with leek's recent post "Hong Kong Architecture" (see the thread here), in which he showed a keen eye for finding repeating patterns in buildings. For these to work, the photographer has to isolate a section of the object, and show it to the viewer in a way that can be appreciated.

My selection for PotW is leek's fourth image, shown below. To me it has a sort of futuristic feel - almost CGI-like - but at the same time has an art deco quality too. Congratulations to John on an excellent series of photographs.

TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: PotW 21 April 2009

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 am

Congratulations John
I liked these when I first saw them, but have learnt that my taste can be a minority viewpoint here. Glad to see it wasn't this time.
Mr Darcy

Postby colin_12 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Way to go Leek.
This was an interesting set.
colin_12

Postby Big Red on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 pm

scrolling it spins me out LOL :-)
Big Red

Return to Picture of the Week