PotW 26 April 2011

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

PotW 26 April 2011

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:46 am

I'm breaking one of our Guidelines for this week's PotW. As Gary says, there are not any rules, but we do try to avoid giving the accolade to the same person within a short time-frame.

For various reasons, some photographic, some personal, I have selected an image from biggerry this week. Gerry is having a good run, because he did win a couple of weeks ago with two images that took a joint gong in this category.

The image I have chosen today is this one, and it comes from this thread.

As well as being a counterpoint to the normal "old digger" Anzac Day image, the serious expression on the good-looking subject, as well as the medals and the floral lapel accessory make it a winner for me.

In addition to all that, my nephew is about to leave Singleton for a posting in Townsville's RAR. Afghanistan is a possibility next year.

I salute all our Anzacs, young and old.

I must add that there were some outstanding images in play this week - kudos to all who posted.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: PotW 26 April 2011

Postby surenj on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 am

Absolute classic!! Congrats Gerry!
surenj

Postby aim54x on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 am

With a set like that, Gerry you well and truly deserve the nod again!

Great choice Trevor!
aim54x

Postby dervish16 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 pm

This is such a great shot Gerry. Well deserved and great selection Trevor. Love the Bokeh and sharpness. What lens did you use? 85mm f1.4? Keep up the great work.
dervish16

Postby Raskill on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Excellent choice. This was the strongest image by far of the series, and a very touching image at that.

I can't help but wonder why he is wearing the service medals and infantry combat badge of what seems to be a recent soldier. Can anyone identify the medals? I think there is the Afghanistan medal, Australian Defence Medal, ICB and but unsure of the others (maybe UN medal for East Timor & Australian Service medal?). These are medals won recently, but worn by the child is typically a sign the wearer is possibly deceased now.

Regardless, such a strong image.

And great choice Trevor. I hope your nephew stays safe and enjoys his time in the Regiment.
Raskill

Postby Alex on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Excellent capture, excellent choice!

Well done.

Alex
Alex

Postby Mal on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Great choice, Great Picture.
Mal

Postby Geoff on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:28 am

This is a ripper of a shot!
One of the best I've seen on the forum for ages. I'm more inclined to look at and enjoy portraits generally more than landscapes and I just keep coming back to this shot. Well done Gerry! WELL DONE!!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby barry on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Well done Gerry for a great shot.

Also an excellent choice foto fanatic
barry

Postby biggerry on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Cheers guys, I hope I have done justice to these people. Its always amazing to see the same guys and in teh marchs and also to see the new young ones carry on the memory of those who have passed in recent times.

[quote]I can't help but wonder why he is wearing the service medals and infantry combat badge of what seems to be a recent soldier. Can anyone identify the medals? I think there is the Afghanistan medal, Australian Defence Medal, ICB and but unsure of the others (maybe UN medal for East Timor & Australian Service medal?). These are medals won recently, but worn by the child is typically a sign the wearer is possibly deceased now. [/quote]

Raskill, thats a very interesting point, from memory he was walking admist a couple of older gents and I merely thought he was representing his pop or the like, however I have no real knowledge of the medals but if they are more recent and he is the son of a recently passed digger than that would be a real heart wrencher - he stood out in the crowd since he was very solemn. I will do a crop and brighten up those medals if anyone can identify them.
biggerry

Postby colin_12 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Nice pic Gerry.
Nice choice as well
colin_12

Postby Big Red on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 am

awesome pic, well spotted and nicely captured!!
Big Red

Postby ozimax on Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Great image, poignant, thought provoking.

Thankfully Anzac Day remembrance is stronger than ever. We owe an untold debt to the diggers, all diggers, for our freedom.

Thanks for posting and well deserved POTW.

Ozi.
ozimax

Postby Killakoala on Wed May 11, 2011 11:53 am

[quote="Raskill"]Excellent choice. This was the strongest image by far of the series, and a very touching image at that.

I can't help but wonder why he is wearing the service medals and infantry combat badge of what seems to be a recent soldier. Can anyone identify the medals? I think there is the Afghanistan medal, Australian Defence Medal, ICB and but unsure of the others (maybe UN medal for East Timor & Australian Service medal?). These are medals won recently, but worn by the child is typically a sign the wearer is possibly deceased now.

[/quote]

Medals from left to right,
Australian Active Service Medal. (AASM) With probably ICAT clasp (International Coalition Against Terrorism)
Afghanistan Medal
Australian Defence Medal (ADM)
United Nations Medal
NATO Medal

Above the medals is the Unit Citation for Gallantry and the Infantry Combat Badge. BTW, it's a lovely image and an excellent POTW.
Killakoala

Postby biggerry on Thu May 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks for that id of the medals Steve, I would never have worked that out.
biggerry

Return to Picture of the Week