POTW 13th May 2014 - Selection by Ozi-man, aka Fraser

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

POTW 13th May 2014 - Selection by Ozi-man, aka Fraser

Postby biggerry on Thu May 15, 2014 1:23 pm

This weeks POTW selection is brought to you by Fraser (ozimax) , excellent choice and thanks for taking the time to view and select the prestigious award pf DSLRUsers POTW :) Nicely taken by Remorhaz (Rodney)

After viewing this week's photos, nothing stands out to me with the exception of Rodney's panorama of the NYC skyline. I think all the photos have merit. Matt's reflection portrait is creepy, but it makes one search the image for something else.

Rodney's cropped panorama is excellent. Standing there in the frigid air taking photos is what he does best. (I usually think of doing the same, for about three seconds, then adjust the doona and go back to sleep....).

Today's POTW is this image. Why? Usually travel snapshots are hastily taken, with little thought for composition. Rodney has positioned the subject perfectly, with the Empire State building immaculately presented in the middle of the frame. Could the portrait lighting have been better? For sure, but in the freezing cold he has done what he could with the equipment at hand. Congrats.

full thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44354&start=456086#p456086

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: POTW 13th May 2014 - Selection by Ozi-man, aka Fraser

Postby Matt. K on Thu May 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Good choice Ozzi. There is something charming about the image and it has a wonderful sense of depth. The background DOF is beautifully controlled. Congratulations Rodney!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: POTW 13th May 2014 - Selection by Ozi-man, aka Fraser

Postby Remorhaz on Sat May 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Cheers Ozi :) (and it was VERY cold :))
Remorhaz

Return to Picture of the Week