POTW-10-May-2016

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

POTW-10-May-2016

Postby Matt. K on Tue May 10, 2016 3:53 pm

This image by !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! is my pick for POTW, despite there being many fantastic images posted recently. Think 'thistle' by zafra52 and 'Fall guy' by Ozimax just for a start. I'm finding it difficult to articulate why I like this image so much and when I try and disassemble the composition I'm even more confused. All of the visual energy seems to slide down into the bottom right hand corner, helped along by the four black stripes on the fuselage. But then the wing and tail fin horizontals seem to perfectly balance the arrangement of shapes and forms, the engine pins the composition down and the small white square on the windshield mirrors the white square in the background, which provides a link between foreground and background. The tones are dark and mysterious and the grain adds 'grit' that stops the eye sliding around the image space. The open cabin door on the right then seems to appear and adds another element of interest. Just a damn good image and a credit to the photographer. I really enjoyed this one
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: POTW-10-May-2016

Postby ozimax on Tue May 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Hear hear. An awesome image and well deserved POTW. The thistle would have been an equally good choice, but this image is plane fantastic!
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby TonyT on Wed May 11, 2016 6:28 am

Good choice Matt. I think it had winner all over it.
TonyT

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Wed May 11, 2016 8:11 am

:O
My second POTW ever! Thanks Matt and all! Very proud. Now I have a standard to meet haha.
After seeing this weeks other awesome posts I didn't think mine would have a chance esp the waterfall ones!
Funny how in the worst weather and crowded conditions or other harsh elements involved you tend to do your best.
Thanks again guys!
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby zafra52 on Sun May 15, 2016 12:26 pm

Excellent choice and excellent photo!
zafra52

Return to Picture of the Week