Picture of the Week - August 2, 2005

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Picture of the Week - August 2, 2005

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:46 am

This week is my choice and I was tossing up between so many images (there were some very impressive images posted this week... keep up the excellent work, people!)...

But this week I've decided to select the following work by Dooda:

It's a beautiful image, in my opinion.

Fantastic detail, the rich "colour" that grayscale uses, the mood... everything about that photo makes me fall for it.

It's easily my favourite of the lot he posted from the original thread, which can be found here:
http://www.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=7717

Congratulations and great work Dooda!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby leek on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:27 am

Ah yes... Nice choice Leigh... I loved that image too...

Nice work Dave... Well deserved...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 am

Great work Dooda ! The contrast in this shot & the composition help to make this a really great photo. The B&W also lends itself well to this shot.

...and good choice Leigh ! Let's see if this weeks POTW is as controversial as last weeks :roll: (I think not !)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Oneputt on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:49 am

I do not know how I missed this first time around. A lovely image and a deserved winner. Well done. :D
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Greg B on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:21 am

Great photo dooda Dave, congratulations. This is old school BW work in my view, very nice indeed.

Good choice Leigh.

Aussie Dave, the most pages in a PotW thread was three until last week when we hit eight!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:39 am

Greg B wrote:Aussie Dave, the most pages in a PotW thread was three until last week when we hit eight!

It certainly had alot of people talking....which was good.
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:37 am

Aussie Dave wrote:
Greg B wrote:Aussie Dave, the most pages in a PotW thread was three until last week when we hit eight!

To a point.

Which brings me to mine; let's focus on the PotW and discussing that, if we may? :)

Dave, another great shot, great composition, and beautifully converted to B&W, with a full tonal range.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:42 am

I'd like to say that I think this is the worst POTW yet and that I think this place sucks, but then I'd be telling porkies :lol: :wink:

Dave

Liked this when I first saw it and still do. I think you've managed to extract every ounce of magic from the shot with superb B & W treatment in PP. You should be justifiably proud.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby MHD on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:44 am

Superb BW treatment... really brings out the image...

Great work and well picked
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:09 am

Sombre, stylish and intriguing - a great shot and well deserved POTW Dave :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby radar on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:30 am

Good choice Leigh,

missed it first time around, glad it got POTW. Really reminded me of being back home, next to one of those lakes. The B&W really makes it great.

Well done Dave.

Radar
aka André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby KerryPierce on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:51 am

Leigh: You should be an art critic. You Always pick the cool images. :D 8)

Dave: I missed this the first time around. Glad it got POTW, because I think it's well deserved. :D
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby jethro on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:27 pm

im not going to bait the hook! this is a great shot
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:52 pm

Great pic Dave, makes me wanna visit Squamish. :)
Onyx

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:00 pm

jethro wrote:im not going to bait the hook! this is a great shot

With all due respect, last week, when you said "POTW i feel is a wank!", you set yourself up for this. You've made your bed, not it's time for you to lie in it.

You need to make up your mind; it cannot be a wank just because you don't like a particular week's choice, and then be ok the following week because you do like the choice.

The concept of PotW is either valid, or it is not, but it cannot change just because you don't like what was selected.

And finally, your viewpoint about any given image, whether favourable or otherwise, is perfectly valid too. Just do not confuse the two, as you appear to have done last week.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:47 pm

Wow, I'll have to add another vote for "missed it the first time, glad it's PotW"!! Wonderful shot Dave, the detail is amazing. Would look great printed and framed I'm sure!
MCWB

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:12 pm

gstark wrote:
Aussie Dave wrote:

To a point.

Which brings me to mine; let's focus on the PotW and discussing that, if we may? :)

my apologies Gary. :oops:
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Great POTW

Postby Yedrup on Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:48 pm

Wonderful image :) :)

An image of this quality is one of the reasons that I love photography, it looks stunning in BW, such great contrast and tone.

Congratulations on POTW.

VG choice. :D :D

Cheers,
Terry
"Photography is not about cameras, gadgets and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel." -Peter Adams, Sydney 1978
Yedrup

Postby mic on Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:31 pm

On Ya Doodles :wink:

Excellent foreground detail & B&W conversion.

Keep it up.

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby informer on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:34 pm

gstark wrote:
jethro wrote:im not going to bait the hook! this is a great shot

With all due respect, last week, when you said "POTW i feel is a wank!", you set yourself up for this. You've made your bed, not it's time for you to lie in it.

You need to make up your mind; it cannot be a wank just because you don't like a particular week's choice, and then be ok the following week because you do like the choice.

The concept of PotW is either valid, or it is not, but it cannot change just because you don't like what was selected.

And finally, your viewpoint about any given image, whether favourable or otherwise, is perfectly valid too. Just do not confuse the two, as you appear to have done last week.

Not trying to sound like I'm defending anybody, but this photo at least is a fair bit more interesting than the last one. The depth of the picture, the b/w usage, the dark and spooky feel and the complexity of the subject.

It makes sense to my eyes at least.
Check out my latest - http://englishnewbies.tripod.com/blog
--------------------------------------------------
Team D50 - Honcho leader [ Japan ]
"Don't bother with PotW" - John Howard
informer

Postby dooda on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:22 am

It would be an understatement to say that I'm thrilled about being POTW.

A few months back I was strategizing on getting it. I had a few really good images and I was submitting them towards the end of the week. None of them got in as there was always one just a little better. Then this place grew and the amount of really good photogs increased so i thought that it was hopeless.

Taking this picture made me realize how important the light qualities are to a picture. What may not work at noon may work at 6pm, and vice versa. I have another similar pic, but the entire scene works better on this one. Thanks again everyone, I'm flattered and feel like I can be at peace.

dave
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:09 am

informer wrote:It makes sense to my eyes at least.

There are three vital words in this last para of yours that vaklidate any and every other choice that's been made here: "in my eyes".

Just because you don't see something in an image does not mean that that same image is seen by others in the same manner: you can only ever talk about how you see it, and that is fair and reasonable.

But it is not fair, and it is not reasonable, for you to try to shoot down a person, or a system, because you don't see an image in the same way that someone else might.

Just as your view is perfectly valid, so too is mine, and so too is that of everybody else here.

If and when a PotW is made and you don't agree with it, you are free to say so, and say why.

And move on!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby flipfrog on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:42 am

congrats dave!
flipfrog

Postby informer on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:08 am

gstark wrote:
informer wrote:It makes sense to my eyes at least.

There are three vital words in this last para of yours that vaklidate any and every other choice that's been made here: "in my eyes".

Just because you don't see something in an image does not mean that that same image is seen by others in the same manner: you can only ever talk about how you see it, and that is fair and reasonable.
!

That is fair to say, what does that say about the photo selection on PotW? Weren't pictures picked by one of the moderators because "in his/her eyes" they were worthy? The last reviewer chose last week's PotW because "he could". Know what I mean about the in-group?

Sorry for dragging it on a bit but I'm interested in your method of response to jethro. I think all the pictures are worthy, but jethro did throw some interesting points about the validity of PotW.

Dooda, was that natural lighting or did you turn down the brightness for that picture? I was inspired by the darkness of it as I also have a few pictures like that.
informer

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:41 am

informer wrote:That is fair to say, what does that say about the photo selection on PotW? Weren't pictures picked by one of the moderators because "in his/her eyes" they were worthy? The last reviewer chose last week's PotW because "he could". Know what I mean about the in-group?

The selection criteria for PotW is totally open. I provide no guidelines whatsoever and exert no influence. When Leigh asked me this week to comment on his short list, my response that it was his call.

When he persisted, I offered a couple of observations about a couple of the choices, and he disputed and we discussed those, which was good, because it helped him cement his views on the eventual choice.

The bottom line is that it's up to each mod to choose whatever he wants, for whatever reason he likes - or for no reason at all. There is no need for them to justify their choice to me, nor to anyone else, and no matter what they choose, they will have my full support in that choice.

Please do not misinterpret that last statement as me saying that I will like their choice; that may or may not happen, but regardless of my feelings about their choice, I will accept and support that selection as the PotW.

And as to your observation about the in-group - I do find that quite offensive.

The only "in-group" here is that of people who participate frequently in the discussions, and perhaps those who are able to come to mini-meets.

You make yourself a part of that "group" by joining in. Significantly, you exclude yourself by not joining in.

Consider that a member might live in Sydney. Surely, it's up to that member to get up off their backside and perhaps get themselves a little more involved, if they wish?

Many do, and many do not. That's fair enough too. But for those who do not to then claim that there's some sort of in-group, to which they do not belong, when they've made little real effort at participation themselves ... excuse me, but that's a bit hard to swallow.

So, please permit me to say this again - you exclude yourself by not joining in.

I have yet to meet a more friendly, and a more welcoming bunch of people - from all parts of our lonely planet - on the web. That so many of us can - and do - engage in meaningful discussions, often agreeing to disagree but always respecting one's right to disagree, is a strong and vital part of this community.

That we have, one year on, yet to see a flame war here is something that I feel is truly remarkable, and a feat of which you, the members, should be proud.

Sorry for dragging it on a bit but I'm interested in your method of response to jethro. I think all the pictures are worthy, but jethro did throw some interesting points about the validity of PotW.

Here's the issue I have: I still cannot understand the thrust of Jethro's comments. Seriously.

I feel that he has totally failed to articulate his point in a comprehensible manner, and despite my saying as much within last week's thread, I am still no closer to gaining any sort of understanding of the message he is trying to convey.

But you've said that he "did throw some interesting points about the validity of PotW"

Jethro made one comment about the PotW concept: that it was "a wank". Those were his words.

If he feels so strongly that it's not a valid concept, why then did feel compelled to comment, just a few days later, that "this is a great shot" ? Something here is very wrong in his words; they're totally contradictory! He cannot eat his cake and then still have it.

Which brings me back to my earlier point - that he has utterly failed to
articulate his point in a comprehensible manner. And I know that others feel the same; there are other similar comments in last week's thread.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby thaddeus on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:25 pm

Would it be possible to move the discussion about last week's POTW to last weeks' thread? That way we can get this tread back on-topic and discuss Dooda's image.

I find the photograph very relaxing. I am not usually a fan of B&W treatment, but it really pulls out the texture of the tree and roots. I just want to sit down on that log at the front and ponder the serenity of it all! Well done Dooda!
thaddeus

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:37 pm

Not to put too much of a Martin Luther King spin on it but;

I HAVE A DREAM ....

.... that one day the discussion regarding POTW will remain centred on the actual aesthetics, technique and narrative of an awarded picture and not so much of this diatribe of sour grapes and hurt pride.

Perhaps the moderator(s) could plit a thread like this so that political discussion is removed and no longer impedes the appreciation of the work - of whatever merit it may be.

Now, to practice what I preach:

Dave (Dooda) has offered us a fine selection of pictures in his initial thread and this awarded example stands tall among them. He has also provided very valuable comment in relating how he persisted with this idea until the light was right - a practice that could be a welcome inclusion for those who are not doing it at present. In the studio lights are moved to best render the form and surface of a subject - in the outside world we are subservient to the currant bun and must wait.

Dave, you have captured a lovely setting but, more importantly for me, you have also captured a moment to pause and reflect. Simply wonderful.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Manta on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:56 pm

I'm getting in a little late on this thread but just wanted to say that I love the image Dooda. It's a classic shot any way you look at it and there's something that sneaks out and grabs you everytime you chance another glance at it. Must be those goblins hiding amongst the tree roots. :twisted:

I've had my share of agreement and disagreement with the choices for PotW but I'm certainly pleased we have this little mini-challenge happening. I haven't quite cracked it yet but aspire to doing so at some stage. Inversion, B&W, out of focus, stark colours, wistful landscapes, brooding lakes, abstract mindscapes; just goes to show you can't predict what's going to win it and in that it provides both entertainment and a learning opportunity all in the one simple serving.

My thanks to Dooda, for this terrific glimpse at a dark hidden world, and to Leigh and the mods for the consistent high standard of selections which, of course come from such a high standard of 'entries'. Maybe mine will be there sometime too. :)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:41 pm

I saw the original post, and thought the images were "good" or "OK". For whatever reason at that time, this one didn't jump out at me.

Now that it is POTW, I really can't understand how I didn't give it the attention it deserved when I first saw it. < Smacks wrist hard :lol: >

I'm glad it got picked because it's a great B&W shot; but I'm even more pleased that I was able to revisit it and enjoy it.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby dooda on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:01 am

I'm so pleased at all the comments.

It was quite dark when I took this, the last light of dawn, all pics taken 15 minutes or so after this one were blurry from shake.

About BW conversion. I always wondered why some pictures work and some don't in BW. I pretty much shoot for BW now, and must have some kind of excuse to leave something in color (some fantastic colour that gives the photo life and character), otherwise I find that for my style of shooting, BW has more impact given the proper treatment.

Trevor, funny thing this has happened to me with POTW. I see the picture in the stream and it seems okay to pretty good, then I look at it as POTW and it jumps out at me. Not sure if this is the psychology of seeing something accepted changing it's aesthetic in my mind, or simply seeing it without the clutter and context of other photos. In any case it raises an interesting question about our mind and aesthetics.

Again thanks all for the comment, I must say that this is a true thrill.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby informer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:19 am

Maybe because the other pictures were drawing attention, thus taking a bit away from this one?

I always find that if you isolated a photo, put a nice frame on it and against a light background, it makes it looks 10 times better.

Congrats.
informer

Postby dooda on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:36 am

I confess that I dislike most digital frames, but sort of prefer a dark background for most pictures. Worst is frames and mat that have some kind of 3-d quality on them with textured mat.

But I do think a picture is probably more fully appreciated within it's own context, and not sharing a thread with other pictures.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby kinetic on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:00 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:Not to put too much of a Martin Luther King spin on it but;

I HAVE A DREAM ....

.... that one day the discussion regarding POTW will remain centred on the actual aesthetics, technique and narrative of an awarded picture and not so much of this diatribe of sour grapes and hurt pride.

YAHOO!! :) :D

I love this picture because
a) it has really good depth, there are the closeups of the tangle of roots at the base, and then the far away trees and their reflection in the lake. .. and
b)as somebody else mentioned, there is lots of things to look at in the photo, but at the same time it does not seem too cluttered.

Thanks Dooda.
kinetic

Postby Alex on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:21 pm

Fantastic shot, dooda.

Alex
Alex

Return to Picture of the Week