Saying Goodbye

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Saying Goodbye

Postby krpolak on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:12 am

As a result of GStark's arogant and disrespectfull attitude (not only toward my person) I would like to say goodbye to this forum.

He is right only in one thing - he owns this forum and is not worth to share with him.

I really appreciate to have an opportunity to me great people here and few great conversation. But I not allow anybody like GStark play on my nose.

I wish everybody to have a fun.

GStark, I believe you dont mind cancel my account

Regards,

K.Polak PS. Dont forget put asign: "Privet Property" before somebody will step in PS2. Your avatar fits you well
krpolak

Postby owen on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:22 am

krpolak, I don't know what this is all about, but you will be greatly missed.
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby nito on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:23 am

krpolak, can't you agree to disagree and leave it at that.

The debates have been heated at times between you and starks, but quiting the forum that you enjoy is sad. Unless you dont enjoy it. :cry:

I've really enjoy the shots you have posted up and shared. Good luck :D and enjoy photography to the max.
nito

Postby Paul on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:41 am

Sorry to see you go Krpolak :(
I always loved your different approach to taking your images, whilst it might not be to everyone's taste the've given me an insight to taking a different approach to some of my shots :)
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby bloop on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:48 am

Life's too short to take words exchanged on an internet forum seriously. Everything said here I'm sure is all in good humour. Stay and enjoy, I like your super macros.

Paul: :lol: @ your avatar
bloop

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:30 am

You've gotta be bloody kidding.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:52 am

You know, I have tried to handle this one as carefully as I could, but between the unproved accusations that KRPolak has flung here that I have tried seriously to investigate, as far as I can see, he's leaving because his pride has been damaged regarding thinking he's right.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Jonesy on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:56 am

have missed all of this but... all the best krpolak. Thanks for some great shots and different angles!

Cheers
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby Alpha_7 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:40 pm

Krystian,

I don't want to get into the recent events on the board, but I do want to say, if this is goodbye you will be missed. As one of the first members to provide frank and thoughtful feedback on my images, I've always respected your feedback and comments. As a contributor to the forum, I've enjoyed your work particularly your isolated architectural shots, you'll be sorely missed if you do leave.

All the best,
Craig
Alpha_7

Postby Glen on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:54 pm

Krystian,

As I said on your last thread, this board prides itself on diversity of opinion and robust debate and the ability to accomodate all.

Artistic endeavours never result in unanimous agreement. If they do they are probably not trying hard enough and playing too safe. I respect your decision and wouldn't try to change it, but the above factors should be borne in mind.
Glen

Postby wendellt on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:11 pm

your a great photographer someone with some real talent, so it would be consistent with the attitudes of the greats just to build a bridge and get over it

welcome back!
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Andyt on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:16 pm

krpolak,

As the resident "Lurker" and contributor when I have something to contribute on this forum, I can only endorse the remarks stated above. When I see your "Tag" on a post its enough for me to click on it and see whats being said as your comments and views are valued :D

I do not know what the cause of your leaving is, but I gather you are leaving for reasons related to acceptance of anothers views & opinions is sad. :(
My advice? STAY, and keep participating, its guys like you that make me "drop in" 2-3 times a day and have my horizons broadened and interest in Dig Phot stimulated. Its my choice to click on, surf out, or think about the issue at hand, but never deride the others right to a point of view.

Believe me, if you are making a point, its better made on this unique forum, and it will annoy those who do not agree with you! :P

"llegitimi non carborundum"

Regards, Andyt

ps go out and take some pics, I do when I am cheesed off, I always come back with an attitude readjustment and 2 hours worth of editing to do!!
Andyt

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:44 pm

Alas, Krystian won't be staying.

He has broken our rules at more than one time.

He has flamed me, both in "public" (such as we have it here) and in private, and not just to me, but in PMs to other members as well.

He has been asked, on more than one occassion, to provide evidence that I have disrespected of insulted him.

Rather than provide any such evidence - and he was provided with all of the time he sought for this, and then some, he has chosen instead to further break our rules, further flame me, and then take his bat, and his ball, and go home.

I have little time for his petty insults, and, like most people here, I do this because I enjoy it, and because I enjoy the company of the people here.

Most members here seem to recognise that we're here for fun, pleasure, and enjoyment, and when people take themselves, and/or this forum, too seriously, then they really ned to reassess from where they might be coming, and/or they need to seriously consider getting a life.

It says very clearly on our FAQ that you need to approach these forums with your sense of humour intact, and I cannot stress this too much.

For those who may be interested in the facts of what transpired, Krystian is of the belief that it is not possible to meter a photographic subject unless one has a light meter present. He hijacked a thread to try to make his point.

I disputed his PoV, citing as one example the days pre-light meters, when photographers such as Ansell Adams made images,

Without such aids.

I cited as a second example the simple fact that I've been doing this for about 35 years now, and pointed out that it was a relatively easy task to view a scene and come up with an exposure value for that given scene, but held that one needed to physically view that scene in order to perform this "miracle".

Krytian refuse to accept that this was possible, and tried to conjure up a make-believe scenario of his own to try to prove his point.

I refused to play his game, but simply help my viewpoint that it remained a relatively simple task - but a requirement - to actually view a scene and determine the correct EV for that scene.

At that point he veered well away from the discussion, flamed me, and decided that I'\m evil, arrogant, and a pain in the arse.

Apart from the fact that yes, I am all of those things, he is not permitted to flame me. Further, he is not permitted to direct me, as the owner of these facilities, to not respond to his postings.

He was warned by other moderators, as well as myself, that he was out of line, but he persisted.

Our rules are set in order to try to preserve an environment for the enjoyment of all, and I see no reason to alter our policies because one person disagrees with them.

Bye bye Krystian, your attitude is not what we're seeking here.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby mic on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:51 pm

Why are soooo many people unkind :?

Bye Bye KRPOLAK.
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby Dug on Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:39 pm

and decided that I'm evil, arrogant, and a pain in the arse.

Anyone with a "happy tree friend" Avitar has to have these qualities:-)

I don't know the argument but as an old photographer I can state that

(A) it is possible to measure light values without the aid of a meter

and

(B) it is impossible to survive on the internet with a thin skin and without entertaining the concept that other people believe in different things and have different opinions.

If you don't want to play by the rules then take your bat and ball and go play with yourself!
Dug

Postby Big Red on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:00 pm

life's too short to be unhappy :roll:
Big Red

Postby neroli on Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:19 pm

Hear, hear Gary.

Firstly, congratulations on handling this situation in a sensible, mature way.

We are all here to enjoy our photography hobby, not to be subjected to juvenile vindictive when our viewpoint is challenged. There is no black and white in life - we'll never learn anything if we are not mature enough to listen to other's views on a subject.

Reading through some of the posts, I can only think that a severe attitude adjustment is needed... time to grow up krpolak.

Judy

gstark wrote:Alas, Krystian won't be staying.

He has broken our rules at more than one time.

He has flamed me, both in "public" (such as we have it here) and in private, and not just to me, but in PMs to other members as well.

He has been asked, on more than one occassion, to provide evidence that I have disrespected of insulted him.

Rather than provide any such evidence - and he was provided with all of the time he sought for this, and then some, he has chosen instead to further break our rules, further flame me, and then take his bat, and his ball, and go home.

I have little time for his petty insults, and, like most people here, I do this because I enjoy it, and because I enjoy the company of the people here.

Most members here seem to recognise that we're here for fun, pleasure, and enjoyment, and when people take themselves, and/or this forum, too seriously, then they really ned to reassess from where they might be coming, and/or they need to seriously consider getting a life.

It says very clearly on our FAQ that you need to approach these forums with your sense of humour intact, and I cannot stress this too much.

For those who may be interested in the facts of what transpired, Krystian is of the belief that it is not possible to meter a photographic subject unless one has a light meter present. He hijacked a thread to try to make his point.

I disputed his PoV, citing as one example the days pre-light meters, when photographers such as Ansell Adams made images,

Without such aids.

I cited as a second example the simple fact that I've been doing this for about 35 years now, and pointed out that it was a relatively easy task to view a scene and come up with an exposure value for that given scene, but held that one needed to physically view that scene in order to perform this "miracle".

Krytian refuse to accept that this was possible, and tried to conjure up a make-believe scenario of his own to try to prove his point.

I refused to play his game, but simply help my viewpoint that it remained a relatively simple task - but a requirement - to actually view a scene and determine the correct EV for that scene.

At that point he veered well away from the discussion, flamed me, and decided that I'\m evil, arrogant, and a pain in the arse.

Apart from the fact that yes, I am all of those things, he is not permitted to flame me. Further, he is not permitted to direct me, as the owner of these facilities, to not respond to his postings.

He was warned by other moderators, as well as myself, that he was out of line, but he persisted.

Our rules are set in order to try to preserve an environment for the enjoyment of all, and I see no reason to alter our policies because one person disagrees with them.

Bye bye Krystian, your attitude is not what we're seeking here.
:D
neroli

Postby jethro on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:23 pm

Been there done that got over it moved on. lifes too short, everyone has a brain explosion now and then. i moved on and adjusted
jethro
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby stubbsy on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:10 pm

jethro - As someone you've managed to annoy from time to time :wink: (like a certain Mr Polak has in this instance) I have to say that your attitude is refreshing and admirable. The reality is we're all jerks at one time or another. We make ourselves bigger jerks by refusing to recognise we're fallible. I think that's the problem here.

I also want to make one very strong point too on this matter. People don't get banned lightly. There's discussion about it and you've really got to work hard at it to get banned. While Gary can ultimately make the decision if he wants to, his choice is to talk to the other admins/mods and there is considerable discussion and a consensus reached before such a drastic step is taken and the person is warned to basically to pull their head in. It's certainly not done on a whim and proof of that is the miniscule number of people who've been banned in the life of this place.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby johndec on Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:11 am

I have followed this saga from Dave's original post which I considered to be a very innovative and "fun" idea (the importance of fun can't be overstressed in this case), to the splinter thread, to this thread.

It is too late now to give advice as bridges have been burnt, but I am truly sorry at what has transpired. Krystian, have you ever heard of the expression "Turning molehills into mountains"? All Dave did was throw out a random idea for general discussion. You were under no compunction to participate in any exercise/challenge that may have evolved from it. I have not entered some challeges or exercises if I felt they didn't suit my expertise/style/equipment at hand. In that I am no different to hundreds of other members here. None of us felt the need to complain that we were being handicapped in some way. And this was for real events, not just an idea that may or may not eventuate..

As I stated earlier, I am sorry it has come to this. I enjoyed Krystians skills as both a image creator and an honest critiquer. C'est la vie. PS: Jethro, I am mightly impressed by your post. When one considers that you have had "robust discussions" :lol: in the past on this forum, your attitude shows that you are willing to put that behind you and continue to be an active and interesting :lol: member of this forum. Well done.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Manta on Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:18 am

I'd hate to think that Dave, or any of the other players in this stoush carry any guilt about this issue, as that would certainly be an unwarranted outcome.

It's sad to see any member take things to heart enough that it causes him to leave the fold. There's plenty of real angst in this world without manufacturing it here from fragments of well-intended reparte.

Good luck, Krystian, in your future endeavours. Your images and comments were enjoyed by a large majority of us. You may not have felt the warmth here but maybe you'll find it elsewhere.

To Gary & Leigh, Peter and the other mods: tough situation but you all handled it in a mature, sensible and professional manner. Thanks especially Gary and Peter for addressing the procedures you go through when these events occur. Further indication that you hold all members', even the odd recalcitrant's, interests as valuable and try to settle the matter at the grass roots before serious action is taken. Good work, all.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Onyx on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:08 am

RE: KPolak - I think some of the 'issues' may have resulted from misunderstandings due to English being his non-native language. Personally I didn't really catch what caused the fall out but I have noted the slagging matches previously between himself and Gary.

Pity I never met him (or forgot that I have), I'm sure he'll be missed. His photographic vision is unique. Had posted some nice images here...
Onyx

Postby Poon on Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:25 am

Dear Mr. Krpolak,

I am not the one who comment the argument.

We Chinese have a saying: "come easily and go easily".

If you knock a wrong door, just say sorry and bye-bye with a smile.

Never leave bad words to the host, no matter you are correct or not.

In China, if somebody did this, he may have trouble.

Life is not that serious. Just think that you may meet Gary one day on the street.

Take care and good luck our friend.
--------------------
Regards
Poon
Poon
The HK Connection

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:38 am

Very sad to see it all come to this. The internet is a very hard place to get your point across, and is also no place for someone with very thin skin.
Perhaps this can be a reminder to all of us that although we can often disagree on things, this forum is essentially about helping each other. If we can keep a light-hearted approach, with this thought in the foreground at all times, we may not end up with these conflicts.....or at least be able to resolve them quickly, painlessly & easily.

Krystian, if you are still reading, it is a shame that this affected you so personally & felt your only option was to leave. I will respect your decision and bid you good luck.

As for the original idea (which somehow snowballed into all this), I plan to bring it to fruition, sometime after Challenge 8 is completed (so stay tuned) :wink:
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby gstark on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:02 am

Simon,

Manta wrote:To Gary & Leigh, Peter and the other mods: tough situation but you all handled it in a mature, sensible and professional manner. Thanks especially Gary and Peter for addressing the procedures you go through when these events occur. Further indication that you hold all members', even the odd recalcitrant's, interests as valuable and try to settle the matter at the grass roots before serious action is taken. Good work, all.

Exactly. There's actually quite a bit more to it than even Peter has stated.

Some of you may have noticed that this topic has been moved from the General Discussion area into the Film and Non-Digital area, and I believe an explanation of this is action (on my part) is warranted.

As is eveident, Krystian, for some reason, decided to make his farewell a very public episode. I have no issue with that. He said his goodbyes, and as I noted above, chose to further flame me in a PM or two.

Ordinarily I would not have actually banned him, leaving him to simply cool off, and perhaps permit a return to some semblance of sanity. As mentioned aboive though, I really had little choice but to ban him, and when I ban someone, I do that pretty thoroughly, first within the database by banning his userid, email address and IP address, but also then at the server level by banning his IP addresses there as well.

This is where it starts to get very interesting, as that latter action prevents him from even seeing our front page: he only gets an error message.

Understand that Krystian has posted messages from three different IP addresses, and so I banned all three of those, in order to be thorough.

Subsequent to the ban being put in place, the server's logs show attempts by a (prospective) user to access the site, first from one, then from the next, and finally from the third, of those IP addresses. Each of those attempts is on the error log, but it indicates an attempt by somebody who has access to Krysitian's IP addresses to view content on this site.

Later yesterday afternoon I recieved a rather unpleasant email from Krystian; it was sourced from a different IP address. A check of the server logs confirms that this otherwise unknown (to the server) IP address had been used to access the site to view content; I banned that IP address.

I responded to Krystian's email, suggesting that he should stop trying to contacvt me, and letting him know that that email was going to be the very firsst, and the very last, email he would recieve from me. I kept my email at a professional level, and I believe I said nothing that could be considered offensive.

Later yesterday evening I recived a further email from Krystian. Again, the content was less than pleasant. As with the earlier one, it came from yet another unknown (to the server) IP address, and as before, it had been preceeded by a visit to this site from that new IP address, in order to view content here.

I added that IP address to the banlist as well, but there is something more significant here: clearly, and despite his "goodbye", it would appear that Krystian had been returning to the site in order, possibly (I can but only speculate), to try to view any responses to this thread.

Hence my decision to move it to an area where it would be out of the more public view; this is not an action that I would ordinarily contemplate.

I have no problems with any further discussion on this matter, but while I do have an issue with a member who has made such a big issue of him going away, but not actually doing so, I have a very serious issue with a user who has been banned, but appears to be trying to circumvent and avoid that ban.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kinetic on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:39 am

......I think that's called stalking!! :shock:

Sad to see somebody leave on such a sour note, but on the other hand if a disagreement on this forum makes you get that angry, maybe you need to get a life :!:
kinetic

Postby MCWB on Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:24 pm

jethro wrote:i moved on and adjusted

And now you're well and truly in the loop. ;) :lol:

Sorry to hear about this whole saga. :( Take it easy, this is supposed to be fun people!
MCWB

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:42 pm

My one and only post on this issue is.........

I'm over it... :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby nito on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:32 pm

MCWB wrote: :( Take it easy, this is supposed to be fun people!

EXACTLY. :D
nito

Postby Glen on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:01 pm

It is apparent we have covered this topic and doubt anything more can usefully be said. Take this thread as closed.
Glen

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging