What type of film?

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What type of film?

Postby katweazl on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi guys,

I have only learnt photography on a D70s....started about 2 years ago.

I have a film Canon eos 100 to have a play with.

Can someone recommend me a good quality film to use.

I know a llittle about Velvia and that it is highly rated.

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys

Joel
katweazl

Postby xorl on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:34 pm

What kind of things are you planning to photography? Do you have a film preference, slide, negative or black&white? There are many factors that might lead you to choose one film over another.
Mark
xorl

Postby katweazl on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:31 am

Hi Mark....I have no idea what I am going to shoot. I don't often plan my shooting.

And because I have never used film before I don't have a preference one over the other.

Joel
katweazl

Postby Greg B on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:48 am

The issue with film, Joel, is that you need to make some decisions before you buy the film.

The first is colour or BW.

If colour, the choice is between negative film (= prints from the photo shop) or transparency film (= slides). With transparency film, you need a means to view the images (e.g. projector and screen)

Your best bet would probably be to just get a roll of colour negative film and see how that goes. You'll get your 20 prints and will notice several things....

1. You don't have the same degree of post processing flexibility with film that you do with digital, certainly not as easily or cheaply. You can't just desaturate or crop etc (unless of course you scan the neg and digitize your process)

(Film afficionados will get hot under the collar, so let me make the point that I am assuming you do not propose to do the develop and print yourself.)

2. Every shot costs you money (which can be a good thing as it can make you consider your shots more carefully)

3. There is a delay between the shot and the reult, you have to finish the roll and then wait for the prints to come back. Once just a part of life, now we are used to dumping the files onto the computer and looking at them straight away.

Have fun with film. (My favourite times with film were shooting B&W and heading into the darkroom. The smell of photographic chemicals still brings back happy memories)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:50 am

Joel,

If you're wanting to shoot colour, I'd consider using Fuji, and probably one of their E6 process (transparency) rmulsions. For mono, nothing but AP100 will do.

Have you considered doing your own processing? It's a lot of fun, not difficult to learn, and can greatly extend the fun and pleasure you can derive from photography.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:22 am

There are some really good 400 films (TMax, Ilford Delta). They're much more handy than 100 speed, and you can't tell the grain difference until massive enlargements. I would go with that so that you don't have a lot of really blurry pictures, and have figured out what you're trying to do photographically.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Hlop on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:44 am

Hi Joel,

If you're going to shoot slide I'd recommend Fuji Provia as more neutral in colours than Velvia. Also, slide is most expensive and most exposure sensitive part of film photography.

I would not recommend Yellow Monster Kodak in either colour slide or colour negative film but it's just personal preference.

In B&W area I like Ilford Delta 100. I'm going to test Ilford Delta 3200 (most probably during this weekend) in low light conditions

Gary,

Is AP100 still available? I think it's harder and harder to get it these days after Agfa has collapsed
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:52 am

Mikhail,

We still have some in both 120 and 135. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Hlop on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 am

Gary,

Just out of curiosity - why do you prefer AP100?
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:29 am

Mikhail,

Over an extended number of years I've found that it gives me results that I fund very pleasant. A good contrast range, very nice greys, easy to work with....

My seciong preference is for Ilford, and I've never enjoyed using Kodak emulsions at all, save K25 and K64, which are an entirely different ballgame altogether.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:41 am

I would stay away from film. You have to buy it. :? :?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 pm

Kodack TMax ultra 3200 is a different ball game too. I haven't used other 3200 speeds, but TMax gave up some truly bitch'in results.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby vort on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Hey mate,

My personal preference is Agfa Ultra 100 for color. It's highly saturated like Velvia except you can buy 3x rolls of it for the price of 1 roll of Velvia :)
Unfortunately as you may or may not know Agfa doesn't make the film anymore so unless you can find a photo shop that still has some stock left over then you're out of luck. I've still got a few rolls left, woo.

Other than that, I would recommend Fuji Press 400/800/1600. Very good film, I like the colors it produces.

Provia, superia etc are also very good films.

As for B&W, I shoot Ilford XP2 400 for most situations and use Neopan 1600 for low light.
..:: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicknav ::..
..:: http://vortsekz.info ::..
..:: http://vorty.deviantart.com ::..
D70, 50/1.8, 18-70/3.5-4.5, TLZ2, 1GB Ultra II CF
vort

Postby Grev on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:42 am

I recommend Fuji too. ;)
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby LostDingo on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:20 am

I can see lots of personal preferences here and I am not going to make your decision making any easier!!

Try the Velvia 100 or Fuji ASTIA. Use Velvia if you want a great deal of saturation and ASTIA if you want color accuracy.

Both are very fine grain and both are slide film.

Paul
LostDingo

Postby Hlop on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:57 am

LostDingo wrote:Both are very fine grain and both are slide film.

... and this means that you must be very accurate with exposure :)

I've heard Astia is very good for skin tones and was going to try it myself one day. And it is surprisingly cheap comparing it with other slide films
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby jerrysk8 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:48 am

i shoot 120 and for colour i only use provia 100f, velvia, kodak e100s and for b&w i use whatever i can get from my mates that get it free from thier tafe classes.
jerrysk8

Postby LostDingo on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:08 pm

Hlop wrote:
LostDingo wrote:Both are very fine grain and both are slide film.

... and this means that you must be very accurate with exposure :)

I've heard Astia is very good for skin tones and was going to try it myself one day. And it is surprisingly cheap comparing it with other slide films

accurate exposure is needed with slide film but I find the latitude is fairly tight with digital also

You will like ASTIA as it has a superfine grain and the color is spot one. You cannot get the saturation VELVIA delivers but shadow highlights and variations in highlights is excellent.
LostDingo

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging