neg size

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

neg size

Postby DavidR on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:17 pm

hey everyone, this may seem like a silly question but ive got a bronica ETRS, 6*4.5 frame and the last roll of 120 film i bought i looked at the back of the neg and it said it was 6*6? will this still work? i thought all 120 roll film was created equal! anyone have any info to help me out as im not keen to shoot off a whole roll to discover it cant be developed!
cheers
DavidR

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:35 pm

David,

Yes, no worries.

The mechanics of this are handled by the camera. Relative to, say, a Blad (or an SQ, or a Rollei) an ETRs will roll less of the film each time, to give you your 645 format, while a Mamiya RZ will wind on more for it's lesser frame count of 6 x 7 cm images.

The primary concern for you is the film back itself: for the ETR series there is a 120 and a 220 back, and you need to use the correct film type within each film back: 220 film stock into a 120 back is problematic, as is 120 stock into a 220 back.

I think some cameras (or backs) take both types of film,but have an adjustable pressure plate which helps deal with the physical differences of each film type.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Further to what Gary said, and to confirm what you said, all 120 film is basically the same - on a 645 camera like the ETRS, you should get 15 shots (30 on 220 film).

The SQ (or other cameras like the 'Blad & Rollei) will expose about 12 shots at 6x6 given a beautiful square neg.

When you say "the last roll of 120 film i bought i looked at the back of the neg and it said it was 6*6" where on the back did it say this?

In the end, you should be able to throw any 120 film through the camera (as long as you use the 120 back as Gary said).

Anyone notice how hard it is to find 220 film? :lol:
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby DavidR on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:51 pm

thanks for the clarification, i was pretty sure it would work but just needed the extra info, much appreciated! and yes, i dont think ive ever seen 220 rolls of sale in Adelaide. and it said it on the negative backing paper near the start of the roll. thanks again now just have to wait for the rain to stop so i can do some more shooting. unfortunately ive been lazy lately and have been using my DSLR but i cant wait to break it out next time i go out shooting :lol:
DavidR

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging