Mercury battery replacements

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Mercury battery replacements

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:52 am

The Photomic finder on the Nikon F I bought last week requires a 1.5v (I think) mercury battery. There are known adaptors available from the Ewe Ess which allow the use of current silver something (watch style) batteries. Does anyone know if they are available in Australia or do I have to order one from the US?

Cheers
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby jammy2 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:21 am

The last time I was looking for the 1.35v mercury PX625 batteries for my spotmatic, was directed to camera clinic in collingwood, but that was a few years back. You could try contacting them to enquire if they still stock replacement batteries or an adpater.

Alternatively, you could use the hearing-aid style wein zinc-air batteries which have the same 1.35v rather than 1.5v of silver-oxide batteries. However, they only last 6 months after removed from their packaging.
jammy2

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks Jammy

I have heard the air batteries are ok, but, you're right, they have a very finite life.

The adaptor I have seen online is this one which costs USD30 + USD15 shipping. Not going to break the bank, but thought there may be a local equivalent or distribution.

Cheers
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Yi-P on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:22 am

Have you tried ringing Jaycar and see if they have a solution?
Yi-P

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:36 am

Replacements for the PX13 (Photomic) are:

Alkaline: LR9
Silver Oxide: S625PX
Zinc Air: WeinCell MRB625

http://www.dt.com.au/category.php?pagefrom=&cat=CONS:BATT:BUTTON

Look for E625/RM625/LR9 priced at $4.95
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:50 am

Yip - I will go to either a Jaycar or DSE and see what they have.

Chris, thanks for the information - those alternatives are 1.5v, I believe, and the PX13 are 1.35v (as I now understand) - am I correct in understanding that using a 1.5v battery would require recalibration or some other adjustment to the meter? That is what I have read.

The advantage of the adaptor sold from the US is that it has a diode to adjust downwards the voltage of the battery so no meter adjustment is required.

If it wasn't approaching Christmas, I could/would/should just get a Sekonic light meter and be happy. :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging