35mm film canisters

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

35mm film canisters

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:45 pm

I just got m'self a bulk film loader and now I need some reloadable film canisters. Anyone know where I can find them?

Cheers
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: 35mm film canisters

Postby Greg B on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:34 pm

:D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Greg B wrote:1983

:D

I wasn't planning on going to Brisbane anytime soon. :D :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Benny2707 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:51 pm

15 all.
D300 - MB-D10 - Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - SB600

My stuff here http://www.flickr.com/photos/22767657@N07/
Benny2707

Postby digitor on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:03 pm

I just gave away a few (and 3 bulk loaders as well!) but I really used to prefer using standard metal ones. The Ilfords used to come apart and go together pretty easily. After you dismantle them once, (with careful use of a bottle opener) after that a smart crack on the protruding plastic spool end pops the other end off, nice and neatly. Kodak ones were not very good for this I remember - the ends were crimped over too tightly.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:09 pm

digitor wrote:I just gave away a few (and 3 bulk loaders as well!) but I really used to prefer using standard metal ones. The Ilfords used to come apart and go together pretty easily. After you dismantle them once, (with careful use of a bottle opener) after that a smart crack on the protruding plastic spool end pops the other end off, nice and neatly. Kodak ones were not very good for this I remember - the ends were crimped over too tightly.

Cheers

Thanks for the idea - I have at least one Ilford to develop this coming weekend, so I will give it a go. The bottle opener I use at the moment seems to do a bit of damage, so I will try another type.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:03 pm

No need for a bottle opener. They're for people who don't know how to open the cans. :)

There are two types of cans, btw. Three actually :)

Of the type that your filum comes in, there are two. The Ilford ones just need a gentle squeeze at either end, and then you can prise the cap off with your thum-B. Just squeeze it near the light trap, and you'll see that there's some give.

The Fuji (and Kojak) ones are usually crimped, which makes them useless.

The third type are the plastic ones. These have a bayonet/eighth turn mount for the cap at one end. Ted's usually carry these in stock, and I think Leigh said about $1.10 per. Vanbar would probably also have some.

We bought some fresh FP4 yesterday for the upcoming filum day, and I thought that I would start the day with a run down of how a bulk loader works, the nbenefits of having one, and how to use it.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Thanks Gary

I think I have at least one HP5 to develop this coming weekend, so I will try to be a man and use my eye socket to open the canister for re-use.

I will also look for some of the plastic ones as well.

I have a couple of Tri-X 400 rolls to develop as well, and depending on how they turn out, I may get 30m of it, or perhaps Ilford Delta 100 (which I understand is quite good) - I know they are very different films, etc. :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Tue May 20, 2008 12:20 am

gstark wrote:Ted's usually carry these in stock, and I think Leigh said about $1.10 per. Vanbar would probably also have some.

We bought some fresh FP4 yesterday for the upcoming filum day, and I thought that I would start the day with a run down of how a bulk loader works, the nbenefits of having one, and how to use it.

I get mine from VanBar, I think I am paying too much for them though. When is this film day?? It would be nice to get my F80 another run and use some more of my bulk loaded FP4.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue May 20, 2008 9:53 am

aim54x wrote:I get mine from VanBar, I think I am paying too much for them though. When is this film day?? It would be nice to get my F80 another run and use some more of my bulk loaded FP4.

The film day is 2 months ago. :D

Since my original post, I have just used some old Ilford cans (plus a couple of Kodaks that survived the opening reasonably well).
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Tue May 20, 2008 10:06 am

Reschsmooth wrote:The film day is 2 months ago. :D

Damn!!! Are there plans for another?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x