FSLR vs DSLR

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

FSLR vs DSLR

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Following a point made by DaveB in this thread where he said ...

DaveB wrote:Face it: FSLRs are the exception these days. :)

Here's a question intended only for those of us who have been around the block a few times, photographically speaking: of which do you have more of in your household; FLSRs or DSLRs?

I've got to think about this one, but I suspect it may be FSLRs by a halide molecule's width.

FSLRs : Nikkormat FT-n, F65, FE2, F801, ETR-S, F401, EM, A1, EOS-500 (I think, currently on loan) ... = 9

DSLRs: D70 x 2 (one on loan), D200, D300 x 2, D60, EOS-30D ... = 7
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: FSLR vs DSLR

Postby ATJ on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:54 pm

gstark wrote:Here's a question intended only for those of us who have been around the block a few times, photographically speaking: of which do you have more of in your household; FLSRs or DSLRs?

Neither. I have 2 of each. FE2 and F-801s versus D70 and D300.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:05 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:Here's a question intended only for those of us who have been around the block a few times, photographically speaking: of which do you have more of in your household; FLSRs or DSLRs?

Neither. I have 2 of each. FE2 and F-801s versus D70 and D300.

OK. :)

When you moved to digital, it seems that you stayed with Nikon (as did I) because of your existing investment in Nikon glass. For extra credit, how quickly did you realise that for digital photography, your old glass just wasn't cutting it, and you then went out and purchased more glass, thereby negating the logic behind your original decision? :)

For me it was a matter of days.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:26 pm

I bought my D70 in Feb 2005. My next lens purchase (excluding the kit lens that came with the D70) was March 2007. I guess that makes the answer to the question: a tad over 2 years.

My favourite lens is still my 60mm f/2.8D which was purchased in 1996 and so I have used it longer on FSLRs than DSLRs.

Lenses aren't the only things. When I bought my F-801s in 1991, I also bought an SB-24 flash. I was able to use it on the D70 and continued to until I bought a SB-800 in December 2007. Same goes with my SC-17 which I still use.

There's also the PK-13 extension tube.

I believe I got a lot of value out of sticking with Nikon.
ATJ

Postby MATT on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Umm We have

2 of each

D70s and D700

F65 and Canon T90..

MATT
MATT

Postby phillipb on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Since I'm a bit of a collector of old cameras, I'm probably not the right person to answer this question, but do only have 1 DSLR and that's a D70. Maybe if I live long enough the numbers may even up a bit when DSLRs become antiques. :)

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Murray Foote on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm

2 FSLRs (FEs), gave away another 3 a few months ago (2 Nikkormats & a Nikkorex)

1 FTLR (1937 Rolleiflex, not that there are any DTLRs)

1 DSLR (D3).

It's taken me a bit over a year to replace most of my old lenses though I probably wouldn't have bothered in most cases if I were just shooting landscapes. The old lenses I'm most likely to still use are the 16mm f3.5 fisheye and the 85mm f1.8 AId.

I didn't get a DSLR until last year because I saw the technology as too ephemeral, prior to that I was using a 6x17 on the one hand and a Panasonic FZ50 on the other. I stayed with Nikon to get the best camera for my purposes, not to retain use of old lenses. earlier I had been perhaps expecting to go Canon and use adaptors.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Reschsmooth on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:10 pm

4 x FSLR (F, FE, F90x, Bronnie ETR-S). 1 x DSLR (D200), 1xTLR (Rollie). 5 F vs 1 D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:40 pm

I know that I am not the best person to answer this as I have only started to own my gear in the last 2yrs (OMG it has been two years)

FSLR - F80, FM2n = 2 (the F80 is actually on extended loan to a friend at the present though)
DSLR - D300, D60, S5 Pro = 3
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby DaveB on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:17 am

As the person who made the initial provocative comment, I might weigh in also...

1x FSLR: EOS 500N (Not that I've ever used it much). My older Pentax gear went a long time ago.

3x DSLR: EOS 5DmkII, 40D, 400D (IR)

That's working equipment. The Zeiss Ikon, Ferrania, Minolta and Minox bodies are just collector items (and none of them are SLRs anyway so they wouldn't count even if they were working).

I didn't move from the 500N to DSLRs: more the other way around. I picked up the 500N as a 2nd-hand bargain last year, whereas I've been using Canon DSLRs since 2000.
DaveB

Postby petermmc on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:47 am

I just cant bring myself to sell/trade my FSLR's as they cost so much and all still work.

Film SLR's
FE2 - This a beautiful thing. Made like a Swiss watch, light, small and sexy. Platos perfect form of FSLR. Reminded me of my favourite all time FSLR Pentax ME Super.
F3 - A tank. Very reliable. Was the Nikon main machine for about 6-8 yrs not like today's 2yr wonders.
601 - Made like a Swiss Roll. Like a cheaper more plasticy FE2 with autofocus. Still works. Bought in 1991 and is not unlike modern DSLR in appearance. Autofocus was as slow as a wet week but it had autofocus!!

Why do I hold onto these? They're worth very little to sell and one day I may even put a film in one of them and show my kids the art of taking photos where thinking about what you are doing is paramount and when the cost of getting it wrong is considerable and waiting for the results is normal. 'Wait' they say...'wott evva'

Digital SLR's
D70 - I liked it at the time. Bit plastic for me & has evolved into a D90
D200 - Reliable - rubber grips keep coming off & constant issues with hot spots - its the only Nikon I have had to send back for fixing.
Panasonic LX3 - Strictly speaking not a DSLR but it is Digital does have a Single Lens and makes some kind of reflex noise. I like metal cameras and hope that Nikon thinks about putting a little bit more metal on the outside instead of filling the insides with magnesium. What happened to the shiny edge when the black wore through.

I can't remember what the question was but I had fun writing this and feel much better now :D

Have a good week.

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:02 am

Peter,

petermmc wrote:I just cant bring myself to sell/trade my FSLR's as they cost so much and all still work.

This is a very valid point: these cameras remain as serviceable today as the day they were purchased, but ....

FE2 - This a beautiful thing. Made like a Swiss watch, light, small and sexy. Platos perfect form of FSLR.

At the anniversary dinner, Craig Rohse pulled out a couple of Olympus OM bodies and associated glass, and passed them around for all to have a play with.

Leigh and I were discussing this over the weekend, and agreed that there is a very significant difference between cameras such as the OM1, Canon A1, the FE (and its derivatives) in terms of overall build quality and the look and feel of these instruments, as distinct from today's appliances.

And just the way that these worked and felt in the hands ... there's something there, that not one of today's cameras come close to.

Reminded me of my favourite all time FSLR Pentax ME Super.

Ok ... I respect that this may be a personal favourite of yours. But this is not one of Pentax's better efforts - they basically stopped making decent cameras with the introduction of the K mount - and I would not place this in the same company as any of the other bodies that you've mentioned; it's not worthy. :)

I can't remember what the question was but I had fun writing this and feel much better now :D

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:54 am

Let's see now
Film by at least 50%

Film: OM-1n, FM2, F3 Also a Spotmatic F, but that's on permanent loan to one of my daughters
Digital: D70s, D200

And I agree about build quality (and Gary's comment about K-Mount - I bought the FM2 rather than buy a Pentax K-mount camera when I was after new lenses for my Spotmatic) but this is echoed in nearly every facet of life. All manufacturers seem to have discovered that it is more profitable to make something just good enough that you will buy the same shoddy thing again when it breaks rather than make it right in the first place. Doesn't seem to matter whether it is cameras, cars, furniture or clothes. Mind you I am aware that the useablilty of all these items has increased. I don't really want to trade in the Peugeot for my old Austin A-30 (no heater let alone air conditioning) just because it was built more solidly.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:27 am

Mr Darcy wrote:Also a Spotmatic F, but that's on permanent loan to one of my daughters

Now there's a camera with class.

And I agree about build quality (and Gary's comment about K-Mount - I bought the FM2 rather than buy a Pentax K-mount camera when I was after new lenses for my Spotmatic)

Yes. When Pentax moved to the K-Mount, not only did the quality of their bodies drop, but the quality of their glass really plummeted. Their K Mount bodies really ended up as being just nothing cameras: nothing serious, nothing worthy, nothing notable.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:56 pm

I tend to not keep old my cameras but I do have 2 FSLRs and 1 DSLR right now and I use two of them. The other is waiting to be thrown out when I feel brave enough to do it. Probably when I move house next so within 12 months.
1 x F70d
1 x F5
1 x D2H
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby aim54x on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Killakoala wrote:I tend to not keep old my cameras but I do have 2 FSLRs and 1 DSLR right now and I use two of them. The other is waiting to be thrown out when I feel brave enough to do it. Probably when I move house next so within 12 months.

I'll be happy to take it off your hands! Always looking for something new to play with
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Heath Bennett on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:06 pm

I've got just one DSLR - the D2x, but also have a digital back and film back for use with three Mamiya 645 AFD bodies, one which is still broken, due to a lack of parts. I'm also lucky to have a work parter who has a D700 and a bunch of pentax dslrs.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby Grev on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:01 pm

DSLR - Nikons D700, D300, D70

FSLR - Nikon F100, F801s, Mamiya RZ67 pro2D, Mamiya AFD2 645.

HA! Have more film stuff.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby aim54x on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:33 pm

I should update....

FSLR - F80D+MB-16 (converted to F80), F80+MB-16, FM2n (total 3)
DSLR - D300+MB-D10, D60, S5 Pro+BP-D200 (total 3)

So in the last year I have gone the other way...more film bodies have arrived
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging