star trails...

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

star trails...

Postby jdear on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:10 pm

there seems to be few things digital doesnt do that film can do, although i think this may be the one exception!

What im talking about is long exposures (greater than 30 mins)

My first attempt at taking star trail photos was using my old FA film body, Velvia film (rated 50) and my 15mm AIS lens at f3.5, of course on tripod and with a cable release - see photo attached. (150kb)

... The building is blown out, due to the long exposure and there was a flood light lighting it up. The star trails seem to be a good length, but in retrospect id have used a larger aperture - around f11-f16.

Ive since then attempted more star trails, although this time i forgot to set the camera to Bulb... resulting in a very short exposure... (didnt realise until i came back 1 hour later than the shutter didnt re-close when i unlocked the cable release... doh!

All of which was at 4.30am in the morning, on perhaps the coldest morning of the month - was around 5 degrees...

The lens had fogged up in this time as well... Im doubting anything came out on that photo.

I will attempt some more star trails... when i happen to be up around 12-3 in the morning (all lights are out then)

Anyone else attempt star trails on film? What were your experiences?

JD
jdear

Postby MHD on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:30 pm

I see you got a metorite too :)

No no film attempts for me...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby jdear on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:50 pm

where is the meteorite??

JD
jdear

Postby Hlop on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:57 pm

jdear wrote:where is the meteorite??

JD

In the building. Went through the roof :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby jdear on Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:04 pm

oooh ooh...
i must find it and sell it to NASA :)

is that what a meteor trail looks like?

JD
jdear

Re: star trails...

Postby Gordon on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:01 am

jdear wrote:there seems to be few things digital doesnt do that film can do, although i think this may be the one exception!
Anyone else attempt star trails on film? What were your experiences?
JD

I've been taking star trails for over 30 years now, and yes I agree, film is way ahead of digital in this arena. I've done exposures of up to 11 hours with the FE2 on winter nights, but precautions have to be taken. As you found out, lens dewing is a problem, so I have made up small heaters to prevent this. They are just electric jug elements wrapped in old electric blanket woollen material and wrapped around the lens, running on 6V instead of 240. That few watts of heat keeps the whole camera warm and dry.
You really need somewhere reasonably dark for the longer exposures too, otherwise you just blow out anything thats illuminated, such as all the foreground in your photo.
Its not a meteorite there (meteorites are lumps of rock or metal that land on the ground, from space) the luminous phenomena in the sky is called a meteor. Its not a meteor either, its most likely a satellite. It is extremely rare to catch a meteor on film, especially with ISO 50 film ;)
I ran a camera with a Bronica 645 back and my Nikon 16mm fisheye lens (with hoods hacksawed off) to give a 200 degree field of view for many years, specifically to photograph bright meteors (known as fireballs) on 400ISO B&W film, and even then only recorded a few per week. Really bright meteors, similar to the Full Moon in brightness, only happened once a month or so.
With long exposure star trail images you are well into the range of low light reciprocity law failure for most films, so dim lights in view wont be a problem, but bright lights will develop quite large haloes.

Gordon
Gordon

Postby jdear on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:58 am

wow 11 hours :)
love to see some of your photos! might inspire me to attempt a few more!

JD
jdear

Postby Gordon on Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:18 pm

jdear wrote:wow 11 hours :)
love to see some of your photos! might inspire me to attempt a few more!

JD

My home page is at:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~loomberah/

tons of astrophotos there, some film, some CCD and some D70. I dont think I have any long star trails posted, though. I'll have to have a look around on the old computer sometime when I am at home, I'm sure I have some scanned somewhere.

Gordon
Gordon

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging