Help in cleaning an old FED-2

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Help in cleaning an old FED-2

Postby radar on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi,

I managed to find an old FED-2 camera that my father-in-law bought back in the 50's. It is basically a Soviet Leica III copy. It is a really great little rangefinder. All aspects of it seem to work. I haven't figured out how to remove the lens yet but I'll keep looking. Mine looks very similar to this one:

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/fed-2.html

but it does have a self timer like this one. That's the little lever on the front that the one above doesn't have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FED2.jpg

The lens is all metal but over the years it has tarnished. Not sure what would be safe to use to clean it, so any suggestions appreciated.

I also have the leather case for it. I know there is an old light meter that he used to make use of, will have to find it in the boxes somewhere.

Thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Re: Help in cleaning an old FED-2

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi André,

Nice.

radar wrote:I haven't figured out how to remove the lens yet but I'll keep looking.

It's probably a screw mount, so just try to unscrew it, firmly but gently.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Andre`,
Gary is right, they are screw mount, I have one of those, to take the lens off you first have to turn the lever clockwise until it locks then turn anticlockwise. and it should unscrew.

Edit: I just had another look at the photos, I think you have the later model without the lever on the lens, in which case you should just be able to unscrew it.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby radar on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks Gary and Phillip,

the lens does have the knob on it. I was able to unscrew the lens as described and was able to see that there isn't any fungus or dust that I can see. So the cleaning required is mostly on the outside.

So I'll clean things up and will try it out with some b&w film. I'll get some actual photos of the camera and post it on the forums later on.

thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby surenj on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:26 am

radar wrote:All aspects of it seem to work.

:o Nice one! Give us some pics pls.
surenj

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:37 am

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the photos from the camera.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging