Complex Image manipulation .... in the dark

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Complex Image manipulation .... in the dark

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:01 am

In the light of comments made elsewhere about image manipulation capabilities in the traditional wet darkroom I thought I might post a link to the work of MISHA GORDIN. On his site it is clearly stated that the work is not carried out digitally, but under the glow of the ruby red.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:59 pm

Some nice work there.

It depends doesn't it?
I mean, if you're doing colour image manipulation, you're working under both the natural light and then absolute darkness (I always hated working in colour darkrooms).

But yes, with black and white, it's either with a ruby red glow or an orange glow, depending which part of the darkroom safe-light you turn on. We had ours set to normally use the orange glow as it tended to provide the same safety that red guarantees with the ability to see more light.

Some of the things I would test would be taking images on IR film without the IR filter (I was a poor uni student... still technically am... lol) and then use computer printouts of monsters on top of my paper to push the images from each onto the print. It was usually a 2-3 minute open light situation at my enlarger, but it was worth it.

Experimentation in darkrooms is a must for everyone, especially those who've only worked with digital. You really get to see what your imagination is capable of doing without the use of a computer.

You can always print your digital negatives to slides at 35mm or 120 or even large format and try it.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Hlop on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Nice arts .... But you know, it reminds me of the case when I was serving in the army and needed to make a hole in concrete wall.With absense of proper tools hole was made with screwdriver and that's an example how many things are being done in Russia :) You don't have proper drill - use screwdriver, you don't have fly swatter - use stool, don't have normal computer - use enlarger and red light :)

But I should admit he has some very interesting and artistic stuff in there :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:22 pm

Mikhail,

I feel your post says far more about your own understanding of the medium than it does about Misha Gordin's (or anybody else for that matter!)

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby kipper on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:25 pm

Mikhail, don't have a drill or drillbit then use a screwdriver and hammer?

Geez, that sounds like tradespeople in the Victorian Building Industry :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Re: Complex Image manipulation .... in the dark

Postby Willy wombat on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:54 am

Sheetshooter wrote:In the light of comments made elsewhere about image manipulation capabilities in the traditional wet darkroom I thought I might post a link to the work of MISHA GORDIN. On his site it is clearly stated that the work is not carried out digitally, but under the glow of the ruby red.

That is quite an impressive gallery of work SS. I did not know that such amazing creativity could be achieved in a darkroom.

Not knowing very much about the science of film development – I am left wondering “how the hell Misha did that” and achieved these curios and wonderments???
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging