Enlargement Capability

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Enlargement Capability

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:26 am

The first shot here is a crop from a 4x5 negative using Kodak 400 T-Max (400 TMY). Acceptable resolution, tonality and grain structure:

[Image deleted by author]

And now here is a rendition of the entire negative from which the crop was extracted:

[Image deleted by author]

Cheers,
Last edited by Sheetshooter on Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Glen on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:06 am

Streetshooter, that ceratinly illustrates a real difference in capability!

I think that is even better than my old 110 film cameras :lol: :lol:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby big pix on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:23 am

.......you have got to love large format photography.......this shows what quality is available........ Here in London, high end Advertising and Commerical photographers still shoot on film stock.......

........nice image.....
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Glen on Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:39 pm

Just out of interest Streetshooter, why dont you just buy a digital back for your existing setup? You may have to rearrange your lenses to deal with the crop factor, but thought it wouldn't be much more than a new ground up 35mm setup and would offer 20-25mp. Mind you I can understand if the siren call of 1.4 lenses is too great after MF.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Greg B on Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:11 pm

With a dslr, you could have just move a bit closer and not needed to crop.

:wink:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:30 pm

The downside of the digital back, aside from the ridiculous price, is how prone the sensors are to early death.

Fantastic images, by the way Sheet. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Killakoala on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:33 pm

I think i might go back to film. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:36 am

Glen,

I have been investigating MF digital backs for a while and the obstacle for my architectural assignments is that with the chip size and camera bodies available I am too restricted in the short focal length domain. Cost is also a factor. Much as it might hurt to fork out the sort of dough that I'm about to, it would hurt even more when just the MF back sets one back in the order of $36,000.00

Mind you the results are stunning. Last weekend I played with an Alpa with a Schneider Digitar 35mm lens and I have never seen such results at the size (native print size a tad over 450mm) but as the age of 60 looms on the horizon I have to question such levels of investment in what is becoming increasingly a young man's industry.

PLUS: the train shot is just a hobby shot for me. My version of you going out in the garden or up the street with your D70s and snapping away. It is persoanl pleasure where market acceptability or identification are irrelevant. It is purely self-indulgence at its best.

The pics were initially posted in the hope of provoking alternative discussion to the HACK.

Thanks for the comments folks, I really appreciate them.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:34 am

Thanks Streetshootter, I thought the wide end may be a problem, but $36k buys a lot of 1Ds Mk 11 or D2X kit. Good luck in your choice, not easy making this step
Thank You
Glen

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging