Trap Focus on 400D

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Trap Focus on 400D

Postby Shoot on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:29 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows if the 400D has a trap focus feature?

Eg, select focal length that you want to use and hold shutter button down all the way, then when object comes into focus the shutter is activated. Obviously for this the camera needs to be set in Manual Focus mode. Does anyone know how to do this or if it can be done on the 400D?
If you’re alone with your friend in the woods and a tiger’s chasing you, you don’t have to be faster than the tiger, you have to be faster than your friend.
Shoot

Postby DaveB on Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:17 pm

Nope: not possible.

If you switch the lens to MF the camera will take photos regardless of focus confirmation (even if you switch to MF while the shutter button is depressed). No combination of drive mode, AF mode, or custom function will give you trap focus on the 400D (or in fact most of the EOS bodies).

Trap focus is only available (via Personal Function 16) on 1-series bodies (1v, 1D, 1Ds, 1D Mk.II, 1D Mk.IIn, 1Ds Mk.II).
DaveB

Postby Shoot on Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Grrrrrr thanks Dave.
If you’re alone with your friend in the woods and a tiger’s chasing you, you don’t have to be faster than the tiger, you have to be faster than your friend.
Shoot

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Rob,

I'm biting my tongue here. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:21 pm

So why did you post Gary? :lol:

I must admit I hadn't missed it in the 6+ years I've been using EOS. There is a close relative of trap focus that I've used in hand-held macro every now and then: single drive, one-shot AF, and when the AF locks on the shot is taken. You can't guarantee what focus position that will be though, which is the difference between that and Trap Focus proper.
DaveB

Postby Shoot on Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:37 pm

Dave,

Yep, just tried it... works on one shot AF, and AI focus AF. You can set to use an individual focus point also and both modes still work which helps a lot to isolate what your focusing on... but as soon as its put into manual its kaput.... Hmmmm

I'm biting my tongue here.

Now now, knives away Gary. :)
Shoot

Return to Canon Corral