Flash Photography 550ex

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Flash Photography 550ex

Postby devilla101 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:44 am

Attended a function last night and it was the 2nd time I was using the 550ex. I have to say it is bloody diffucult. I read the instruction manual and did a few practice shots but come the event forget it. Some shots were really good and some were crap. Overall really unpredicatable.

Well my problem is I have another indoors function to go to and want to get some really good consistent photos. If all else fails what auto/creative setting should I set the Canon 10d at? I prefer to shoot raw but jpegs are fine as well

Thanks folks
devilla101

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:28 am

how about working in a "priority mode". Like Aperture, or SHutter? Perhaps aperture priority, F5.6 for 1-2 people in the shot, flash on TTL of some kind. If dark, maybe start around ISO 400...

Keep an eye on the metered shutter speed, keep above 1/60th (unless IS/VR), or higher if your focal length is over 60mm.

Flash just off camera, or bounce it, bounce it, bounce it. Dont worry about a "modifier" until you have worked out ceiling and wall bounce (bounce off white/light surfaces if you can)

I've even seen some great effects bouncing off the floor (not flattering, but makes for great dancefloor candids (floor is often polished, or wet if in a club).

does that help any?
Oz_Beachside

Postby adam on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:00 pm

You can try shooting in Program mode and adjusting using exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation depending on the scene.

Have a look at http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flas ... 3.html#fec :)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby moz on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:53 pm

With mine I tend to shoot in Av and hammer the EC/FEC a lot to get decent exposure. I've had little luck at low ISO using manual, that only seems to work it I'm somewhere with consistent lighting. I use the flash mostly in places where I end up moving about a lot to get shots, and use the flash to fill more I use it as the primary source. If you need to, flicking between high-ISO test shots and low-ISO keepers can help a lot, but I usually rely on the CP-E3 and decent batteries to keep the cycle time low at full power.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby foonji on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:59 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:I've even seen some great effects bouncing off the floor (not flattering, but makes for great dancefloor candids (floor is often polished, or wet if in a club).

im always bouncing in clubs... never thought off the floor.... will give it a go tonight :D
foonji

Postby foonji on Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:01 pm

also FEL is a great tool which must not be overlooked. helps a lot!
foonji

Postby hart on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:24 pm

After googling some of the acronyms here (geez you guys are worse than IT people sometimes) I stumbled across this gem:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

*very* comprehensive information on flash.

I've had massive failures in low light (party) situations using P and Av mode with my 580ex set to ETTL (with the 580ex pointing up in bounce mode) - I've also had huge success in low light using Tv, ETTL & pointing up and over my shoulder while setting the shutter speed to around 150-200 - depending on the subject's movement.

Cheers

Leigh
Canon stuff|Manfrotto Stuff|Karachi Outpost|flickr|blog|Elemental Exposure
hart

Postby devilla101 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks for the tips fellas. I read more on that FEL and actually used it! Wow big difference. Exposures were great.
devilla101

Postby tbgphoto on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:44 pm

As someone who shoots wedding I have to work in some pretty ordinary lighting situations, the only way I can really ensure that I get results that are spot on everytime is to shoot with the camera on manual and then use the ECC on the flash for fine tuning. It takes some practice but it get the results
tbgphoto

Return to Canon Corral