Canon LCD Protection

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon LCD Protection

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:53 am

Seeing as how I have a foot in both camps one of the first differences I have noted between my 5D and D70s is that there is the little Nikon plastic cover to protect the LCD screen surface of the Nikon from nose-grease and other nasties. It seems this was not an issue deemed worthy of addressing over at Canon and to that end I have decided to place some Palm Pilot Screen Protector material (cut to size) over the screen on the EOS 5D.

Anyone else used this remedy or suggest another remedy? Wearing spectacles all the time is a sure way of keeping the nose well lubed.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby birddog114 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:06 am

PDA screen protector has been used for ages on this board with many D70 bodies, a template for it from member "timbo" was posted on the front page.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Paul on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:10 am

Sheetshooter,
I use both on my D70 and can confirm that the PDA cover works great!

I've had mine on my D70 for about 8 months thanks to Birddog :wink: and only now I am about to change it for a new one.

There is a slight degredation in screen quality, but for peace of mind and no scratches on my screen it's worth it.

For transporting the D70 I keep the plastic cover on it to protect it from any bumps and whilst shooting I remove the cover for a clearer view.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:19 am

Thanks Paul and Birddog,

Hey Paul, weren't you the guy with the signature comment about history in Scotland? I miss it. It always brought back fond memeories of my time in Oban and the Inner Hebrides.

Oh, for one of those Scottish breakfasts!! Not really what the Doctor would have me treat myself to but teasing anyway.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Re: Canon LCD Protection

Postby DaveB on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:35 am

Sheetshooter wrote:Seeing as how I have a foot in both camps one of the first differences I have noted between my 5D and D70s is that there is the little Nikon plastic cover to protect the LCD screen surface of the Nikon from nose-grease and other nasties. It seems this was not an issue deemed worthy of addressing over at Canon and to that end I have decided to place some Palm Pilot Screen Protector material (cut to size) over the screen on the EOS 5D.
I'm presuming the 5D is the same in this regard as the D30/D60/10D/20D.

You can use PDA screen protectors, but you have to do it right. You should only use the protectors designed for colour PDAs. That's not too much of an issue these days, but if you use protectors for monochrome PDAs you'll get nasty cross-hatch interference patterns.
I use protectors on my screens, and while at one stage I used a template to cut the right size out, it was awkward to get it aligned on the screen properly. What I do now is attach an uncut protectors with a fair bit of overlap, then (carefully) trim it with a small craft knife. The blad is run along the edge of the screen, so if you do it properly you won't cut the screen or the body. BTW, after a few years use of my D30 I noticed that the top LCD had got a few scratches (about the time I noticed that the top LCD panel on the 10D was a softer plastic...) and now I put protectors on those panels as well.

But all of this is paranoia really. The window that covers the rear LCD on these bodies is a very cheap item (less than AU$20) which can be ordered from Canon spare parts and replaced yourself if necessary (without opening up the body of the camera). Mind you, replacing the top panel does require a bit more disassembly.
DaveB

Postby petal666 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:37 am

I've never seen a scratched Canon LCD screen, maybe a little oily but that doesn't hurt glass/polycarbonate or whatever it is. They are actually cheap to replace, as long as you know the part number.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby Wocka on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:56 am

I have a scratched LCD screen on my 350D. Was there within a week of purchase. I sometimes wonder if it was there at time of purchase? But can't be sure.
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby birddog114 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:01 am

petal666 wrote:I've never seen a scratched Canon LCD screen, maybe a little oily but that doesn't hurt glass/polycarbonate or whatever it is. They are actually cheap to replace, as long as you know the part number.

It easy to get scratched, I've seen few on both Canon and Nikon body,
The actually LCD screen is not easy to replace and it's not cheap! the clear plastic cover is removeable and easy to replace.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:11 am

Birddog114 wrote:the clear plastic cover is removeable and easy to replace.

And even easier to lose. :(
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:13 am

Birddog114 wrote:It easy to get scratched, I've seen few on both Canon and Nikon body,
The actually LCD screen is not easy to replace and it's not cheap! the clear plastic cover is removeable and easy to replace.

On the Canon bodies I've worked on it's not hard. For example at the start of this year a replacement window for a 20D was AU$14.80 (haven't checked if the price has moved, but I doubt it) and removing the old window (which is just held down with adhesive strips along the back of the edges) just needs a good suction cup. The replacement window comes with new adhesive strips.

Maybe it's harder/expensive to replace the window on a Nikon body?
DaveB

Postby birddog114 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:18 am

DaveB,
At least you got one scratched LCD screen.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby DaveB on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:30 am

Birddog114 wrote:At least you got one scratched LCD screen.

True, I've dealt with several. But for what it's worth they weren't serious scratches, and the only reason I replaced them was that we were doing work on the camera already or preparing them for 2ndhand sale.

The bottom line from my point of view is that it's not a problem you need to worry about with the EOS bodies. The plastic windows can take a lot of punishment (as a professional nature photographer I do take care of my gear but it does go through some harsh conditions) and if you DO get a problem then it's easily addressed.

Attaching PDA protector screens doesn't hurt if it makes you feel any better about it (in fact I do it on a bunch of equipment such as my voice recorder which has an easily scratched LCD window - hanging around my neck in the field it gets a bit of punishment). Just make sure you don't use the mono protectors.
DaveB

Postby DionM on Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:00 am

I just use a cut up palmpilot protector. Works for me.

But I don't look at the screen that much really. I jump into it to enable mirror lockup, and maybe to format the odd CF card, but that's it. So my screen can be as dirty as hell and I don't really notice/care 8)

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby bobbyd on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:41 pm

even if the plastic screen is cheap to replace, its so easy to use a pda screen protector- ive done this on my 350d and use one for all my expensive techno gadgets, just cut to size.

There is minor picture blur but the lcd is only a basic reference for me to preview pics to see if it worked as planned. there are expensive washable pda protectors which are not coated with adhesive-rather use natural vaccum type adhesion. these are really clear but cost aobut $30 from memory
bobbyd

Postby mitedo on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:21 pm

Guy's have a look at this, ordered them last week just got them today , there called da Nikon D2X Protector this is the web add - http://www.daproducts.com im sure they make them for all camers,

All done

Kevin
mitedo

Postby DaveB on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:26 pm

I think they started out as "da Oly Protector" for Olympus E-10/20s.

You'll notice there are adhesive strips along two of the four edges (it would be quite hard to get off otherwise). Unfortunately the only feedback I've heard on these is when dust gets in the unsealed sides and ends up scratching both the camera screen and the back of the protector!

But that's 2nd-hand feedback and they may work well for you in the environments you use your camera in.
DaveB

Postby DaveB on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:30 pm

What's with the missing panel on the back of your D2X?
DaveB

Postby mitedo on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:47 pm

DaveB wrote:I think they started out as "da Oly Protector" for Olympus E-10/20s.

You'll notice there are adhesive strips along two of the four edges (it would be quite hard to get off otherwise). Unfortunately the only feedback I've heard on these is when dust gets in the unsealed sides and ends up scratching both the camera screen and the back of the protector!

But that's 2nd-hand feedback and they may work well for you in the environments you use your camera in.

They now give you 10 adhesive strips i only used 2 for the four sides so i have 8 left over as for getting it off you can use dental floss, i did email a few guys using it & have done for the last 3 years with no problems getting it of at all

Kevin
mitedo

Postby Oneputt on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:51 pm

It annoyed him so he took it off :?
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby bobbyd on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:53 pm

great- these are cheap as well. $8.66 Au for the 350d version, only $2.89 Au postage. I ordered two, thanks for the post
bobbyd

Postby rog on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:55 pm

I had a chopped up PDA protector on my 20D for a while, but I got sick of the fuzzy display after a while. Since removing it, it's taken a fair beating and the screen is dirty, but scratchless.

- R
-- Rog
Canon 20D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.8, 420EX Speedlite, Benro C327 & KB2 + bits
rog

Postby mitedo on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:57 pm

DaveB wrote:What's with the missing panel on the back of your D2X?

Hi Dave yep the 2 thing's i hate about the D2X are now fixed that stupid little trap door to get to your card & the cover for the LCD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kevin
mitedo

Postby DaveB on Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:05 pm

:lol:
DaveB

Return to Canon Corral