Selling my Canon 17-85IS USM Lens...

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Selling my Canon 17-85IS USM Lens...

Postby Marty on Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:08 am

Hey Guys,
I am selling my 17-85IS USM Lens on Ebay.
It's in perfect condition and takes excellent shots.
Heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7557227457&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
I will offer free postage in Oz to forum members.
Thanks
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby mR_CaESaR on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:26 am

so what are you upgrading to? the 24-105L?
mR_CaESaR

Postby Marty on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:39 am

Hey Mate,
I actually bought the 17-40L as I still wanted to go wide.
I love the 17mm end of the lens.
I am amazed at the quality from this lens, the colours are stunning straight out of the camera without any PP needed.
I upgraded to this lens as I recently bought the 70-200L and again, the colours and sharpness are awesome.
I now realise why everybody raves about L glass.
I took the POTW surf shot with that lens, all I needed to do was crop and a small adjustement with curves.
I wish I had started with the L glass, but it's expensive as we all know.
I am also looking at moving to a 1d, so I needed lenses I could also use on this body.
Sadly the 17-85 would not work on ff bodies.
Marty
Marty

Postby mR_CaESaR on Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:01 pm

i see, nice choice of lens there.

Did you import? I wish i can get my hands on L's, but right now its still a bit expensive, plus i think having a 17-40 for some reason would seem a bit redundant on my end, i have the sigma 10-20 and tamron 28-70 so 17-40 might be a little repetative, but then again, it would prove to be an ideal walk around lens.

One day i might look into a 17-40, but my main want right now is the 85f1.8 and 70-200 as well, which flavour 70-200 did you end up getting?

Also, yes, upgrading to a 1 series would be my ultimate, 1dmkIIn would be fantastic, but with my current skill level, i dont' see it a viable option at the moment, maybe in 5 years time or so, when i have a collection of decent lenses, i'll look into upgrading to a 1 series. Hopefully a full frame 1 series will be the price of a 1.3x 1 series :) (we can always dream)
mR_CaESaR

Postby Marty on Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:27 pm

Hey Mate,
I was going to import the lenses from the States.
I calculated the cost to ship, import duty, handling etc...
But then I found two online sellers in Aust who are only marginally more expensive than what it would cost me, so I thought rather than worry about the risk and hassle I would buy from them.
Sounds like you dont need the 17-40 right now, in fact you 10-22 would get some great shots, cany you post some for me..???
The 17-40 as a walkaround lens, well I haven't tried it for that yet, but I am sure I will miss the extra reach of the 17-85.
The 17-85 was perfect for a walkaround and in low light because of the IS, I took 5000+ shots with it and always got great results.
On the 70-200, I chose the F4, for three reasons.
1, its light enough to shoot handheld all day (F2.8 is really heavy)
2, I only shoot in very bright conditions, so the F2.8 isnt necessary
3, I am always shooting on the water, or stood in the surf, so if I do eventually kill the lens, its a much less painfull loss.
Also, the F4 is continualy reported as a much sharper lens, and thats very important to me.
Marty
Marty

Postby bobbyd on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:50 am

I looked at this post too late, well done with the sale.

can you provide detials of the aust online sellers of lenses you refer to please
bobbyd

Return to Canon Corral