Hacked Firmware for 300D

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Hacked Firmware for 300D

Postby ozonejunkie on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:41 pm

Has anyone else used the modified firmware for the 300D?
The major changes that are in are FEC support, Mirror Lockup & ISO 3200 support.

I installed it on my camera about 4 days ago, and have nothing bad to say about it. The FEC is certainly nice, and the ISO3200 is extremely grainy (obviously :P), but it came in really handy the other day for checking focus on long exposures. :) (5 minute ISO 100 exposure vs. 15 second ISO3200).

The only problem I have with it is the slight grey area regarding warranties . . . . :P :P :P :P

Just's a heads up for anyone that may be interested. I take no responsibilty though, as if things go pear shaped, they are likely to go pear shaped in a big way!

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:17 pm

Whoa... who makes the hacked firmware?

And do they do anything similar for a Nikon?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby ozonejunkie on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:26 pm

I doubt that there is something similar for Nikon, but I do not know. It is based on the 10D firmware, as the 300D is a cut down 10D. The main pages that I have used have been:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/di ... _hack.html
&
http://www.gpi.dk/300d/

That has the feature list: http://bo.joergensen3.person.emu.dk/300 ... atures.pdf

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:30 pm

If it's based on the 10D, I doubt one would exist for a D70, as the D70 is more of a re-designed D100 and not a younger brother of any other camera.

Still, great idea for 300D users. Does the 350 have something similar in regards to the 20D?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby DaveB on Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Still, great idea for 300D users. Does the 350 have something similar in regards to the 20D?

Nope. The 350D isn't quite so crippled as the 300D. Canon included Custom Functions, so you have mirror lock-up, the ability to move AF to the * thumb button, etc. Also you have control over flash exposure compensation.

There's little incentive for anyone to try the hack for the 350D...
DaveB

Postby Big V on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:02 pm

I have been using the waisa hack for a year, it is brilliant... Having mirror lock up is a must and so is the 3200. One pass of neat image takes the grain away...
Canon
Big V

Postby Greg B on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:28 pm

When I was deciding between the D70 and the 300D, I read quite a bit about the firmware hacks. I seem to recall that the 300D had the same (ish?) chip or OS as the 10D, but that features were disabled. The firmware hacks re-enabled them.

The whole thing sounded great. I do recall reading, however, that you kiss your warranty goodbye.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby DaveB on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:47 pm

Greg B wrote:The whole thing sounded great. I do recall reading, however, that you kiss your warranty goodbye.

It depends on why you need your warranty. If Canon receives the camera for servicing and it's got non-standard firmware in it, then sure: they're going to kick up a fuss.
But if you have a chance to switch the firmware back to the Canon version they won't know the difference. It's the same process as for switching between various versions of the Canon firmware.
DaveB

Postby ozonejunkie on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:51 pm

DaveB wrote:But if you have a chance to switch the firmware back to the Canon version they won't know the difference. It's the same process as for switching between various versions of the Canon firmware.

Exactly. :) I am hoping that if I need a warranty done on my camera, then I will have the oppurtunity to change this. :)
ozonejunkie

Postby Greg B on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:57 pm

As long as the problem with the camera is not something that would preclude a firmware installation (ie, camera won't turn on)

I would be doing it regardless if I had bought the 300D :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby ozonejunkie on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:01 pm

Yere, that is my only concern. It has taken me 6 months to get the courage to flash it. :)
ozonejunkie

Postby Big V on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:42 pm

There are no reports of the hack causing any problems, as I said I have been using it for a year, go ahead and do it, it is worth it...
Canon
Big V

Return to Canon Corral