Canon Flash E-TTL II

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon Flash E-TTL II

Postby Wocka on Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:03 am

Gidday,

I'm looking @ purchasing a Canon 580EX flash ( 580EX cause it's the best and should probably over buy and let my skills catch up to the equipment ) for my 350D.

Does the E-TTL II flash's work with their distances for non Canon Lenses? I'm also looking @ the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and wondering if this flash / body / lens combo will work with these features?

Does anyone on the forum use these features with non Canon lenses?

Cheers
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Re: Canon Flash E-TTL II

Postby DaveB on Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:16 am

Wocka wrote:Does the E-TTL II flash's work with their distances for non Canon Lenses? I'm also looking @ the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and wondering if this flash / body / lens combo will work with these features?

Just to be clear, all of the EX flashes will work in E-TTL or E-TTL II: the extra features of II are implemented in the camera body, not in the flash.

The underlying question you have is whether the lens reports distance information to the camera. If yes, it will be used in E-TTL II calculations.
In the Canon EF lenses, the only lenses that report distances to the camera are those with ring-USM focus motors. Some of the other lenses have distance scales marked on the focus ring, but without ring-USM it doesn't send the information to the camera.
All I can tell you is that I have one Sigma HSM lens (the 180mm/3.5 macro) and it does NOT report focus information to the camera body. So unfortunately I'd have to say that the odds are low that the Sigma 30mm/1.4 does.

If you can take a test JPEG image with that lens on the body you should be able to determine the answer. The Canon software should report it to you for that image.
DaveB

Postby petal666 on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:13 pm

DaveB wrote:All I can tell you is that I have one Sigma HSM lens (the 180mm/3.5 macro) and it does NOT report focus information to the camera body.
Do you have the DG version though? That MIGHT make a difference but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby DaveB on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:57 pm

petal666 wrote:Do you have the DG version though? That MIGHT make a difference but I wouldn't hold my breath.

No I don't, but as my understanding is that the only change with the DG version is that they've use different coatings on the rear elements, I wouldn't hold my breath on that either.
DaveB

Postby spada on Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi DaveB

As discuss above, those third party lens like Tamron 28-75 dose not report the distance to the body that use this information to cal power applied to the flash, one question is will the flash work correctly with those third party lens.

Regards
spada
spada

Postby petal666 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:33 am

Yes. ETTL still works.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby DaveB on Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:41 pm

Sorry, I missed this followup.

Yes the flash still works, it's just that one of the optimisations that the metering algorithm can use is not available. In most scenarios I doubt you'll notice the difference.
DaveB

Postby oli on Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:52 pm

Wocka wrote:( 580EX cause it's the best and should probably over buy and let my skills catch up to the equipment )

Then you can't lust for anything better either! Good choice! :lol:
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Return to Canon Corral