Dust in the sensor

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Dust in the sensor

Postby zafra52 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:17 am

My fellow Canon users, I found I have a few specs of dust somewhere in the sensor and I tried to blow it out with little success. It keeps shifting. Do you know any place in Brisbane where I can take my Canon 30D camera? Although the camera is about 3 months old I don't think dust is covered under the warranty.
zafra52

Postby Sheila Smart on Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:31 pm

Do it yourself :D Dust is a common problem on all dslrs and if I sent mine to Canon every time, I would be seriously broke! I use Eclipse fluid, PecPads and a Sensor Swipe. I believe Poon as Eclipse fluid. I bought my PecPads and Sensor Swipe on line from http://www.pbase.com/copperhill - Nicholas ships from the US and I received mine in seven days.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that you get more dust on your sensor AFTER Canon allegedly removes it. While its a tad nervewracking the first time you perform it, it gets to be a real doddle.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby fozzie on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:54 pm

I am along with Sheila and do-it-youself.

There is a company in Australia that can supply you with all the products. Please refer to following website:

Canon 30D - Copper Hill Sensor Swipe 14mm Kit:-

http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/product ... ts_id=1351

This very same product Sheila would have purcased from pbase in the USA.

And here you will find some more information on how to clean your sensor:

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Yi-P on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:15 pm

I echo all the ideas given above.

I bought my Eclipse (its just pure methanol) and pack of Pec*Pads from Quality Camera, built my own swab as described on copperhills methos... Cleaned up the dusts with no problem, just a bit of hesitation at start, but you'll get use to it...
Yi-P

Big thank you!

Postby zafra52 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:57 pm

Big thank you to all of you. I have gone to Quality Camera and bought the kit to clean the sensor. I also indicated I was referred by dslrusers.net. I see how I go with it.
zafra52

Postby norbs on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:47 am

Canon just did mine last week. It was better, but by no means clean. Luckily, the 1st sensor clean is free.
norbs

At long last

Postby zafra52 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:30 am

At long last, I can say that my sensor is dust free except for a tiny little mark on the left bottom corner that I am going to leave there for the time being. The cleaning kit arrived on Tuesday and I had ordered it on Sunday, so that is an excellent service from Quality Cameras at http://www.qualitycamera.com.au. It took me a few attempts and some despair when at a time it got worse rather than better. I only used, as instructed, one piece of paper and about three drops of cleaning liquid at a time to avoid introducing more dust. Any way, sensor cleaning, as they say, is not for the faint hearted, specially for the first time, but like sex after 25 or 30 attempts it kind becomes almost mechanical :oops: :P there I said it! So a big thanks to all of you that offered advice and set me on the learning path.
zafra52

Return to Canon Corral