Hilight Tone Priority feature

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Hilight Tone Priority feature

Postby padey on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:24 pm

The new canons have a feature called Hilight Tone Priority. (Sepos, can't they spell; Highlight not Hilight)

Here is how they explain it;
This new feature extends the dynamic range of highlights by about one stop and improves gradation within highlight areas. By expanding the range from the correct exposure level (18% gray) to the maximum allowable highlight level, the gradation from the grays to the highlights becomes smoother and loss in highlight detail is minimized.

So does it work? Yeah, and i think i'll be using it for all my weddings;

Here is an image with Hilight Tone Priority turned on;

And the same shot with the same settings with it off

Andrew

Canon make photocopiers and stick lenses on them....
padey

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:25 pm

Andrew,

That looks to be a very useful feature for the sorts of images you frequently make. What's it giving you? An extra stop at the high end of things?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:23 pm

Interesting Andrew. Have you tried running the second one through a highlight reduction algorithm (e.g. Bibble's Highlight Reduction parameter) for comparison purposes? It does a similar thing, basically reduces contrast in the highlights.
MCWB

Postby padey on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:04 pm

gstark wrote:Andrew,

That looks to be a very useful feature for the sorts of images you frequently make. What's it giving you? An extra stop at the high end of things?

Canon documentation says 1 stop, and that looks about right.

Wedding guys are going to love this feature.

MCWB wrote:Interesting Andrew. Have you tried running the second one through a highlight reduction algorithm (e.g. Bibble's Highlight Reduction parameter) for comparison purposes? It does a similar thing, basically reduces contrast in the highlights.

No, but i gather if your starting point has 1stop less of blown highlights it should leave more room for PP.
Andrew

Canon make photocopiers and stick lenses on them....
padey

Postby Big V on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:54 pm

This is a very useful feature and on another site, they have a comparison with a bride and her veil - veil is almost washed out without but all the detail is there with it on - wedding photographers will love this.
Canon
Big V

Postby MCWB on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:56 pm

padey wrote:No, but i gather if your starting point has 1stop less of blown highlights it should leave more room for PP.

Absolutely, fair call. Anything which decreases the amount of PP to be done is fine by me! :D
MCWB

Return to Canon Corral