Canon 1D Mk II N

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 1D Mk II N

Postby ozimax on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:23 am

I'm thinking of upgrading to a FF camera eg 5D. However, the 1D MkIIN, a 1.3 crop camera, is aggressively priced in the USA at the moment. At 8.5 FPS it would be an ideal sports/surfing camera.

Does anyone have experience with this beast and if so, is it also suitable for portraiture? Any advice welcomed.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby DaveB on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:41 am

It's a very nice camera, and yes it's great for everything including portraiture.

But you do need to be aware of the weight/size of the 1-series cameras, and the menu of the pre-III models is dramatically different from the other EOS cameras. They may be turn-offs for some people: you'd want to be sure about that before investing.
DaveB

Postby ozimax on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:56 am

Thanks Dave. Weight is no problem, I've lugged a 30D with grip + 70-200 2.8IS for a few months now with no problems. I know that the MKiiN is a heavy beast but I prefer a heavier camera setup, at least with the bigger lens.
ozimax

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:00 am

Ozi,

Like all of the 1D series, it's a superb camera, with, as Dave has mentioned, some ergonomic issues. None of those affect the IQ that you can expect to see though.

Are you able to find one locally to have a play with?

And how aggressive is the pricing that you're seeing? With the PP as it currently is, there may certainly be some bargains around.

While I won't ask you to divulge sources, how reliable is the vendor, and given the age of the model, are you sure this is for NOS?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jdear on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 am

Id have both - FF + 1D (1.3) which would be a perfect setup.

What sort of photos do you take most of? if you dont do a large amount of landscapes whereby you need to go wide then Id lean more towards the 1.3

certainly the 1.3 for sport / surfing etc.

J
jdear

Postby ozimax on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:18 am

Gary:

The camera body was at Adorama (genuine USA) and I think was about $3200 USD which at 90c makes it quite attractive (though still expensive compared to say a new 40D or even 5D at $2199 USD).

You do get what you pay for though and I would hope to get maybe 3-4 years of fairly heavy usage out of it. The 8.5 fps, weather sealing and dual CF/SD usability is what interests me most.

Decisions, decisions....

J:

I am an all rounder but my great interest is surfing and wildlife, mainly birds in flight.
ozimax

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:22 am

ozimax wrote:Gary:

The camera body was at Adorama (genuine USA) and I think was about $3200 USD which at 90c makes it quite attractive (though still expensive compared to say a new 40D or even 5D at $2199 USD).

Ok, that takes care of any legitimacy issues that might exist. The rate this morning was closer to 0.87, but it's all a timing thing, and your CC provider will rip you a new one anyhow.

The pricing is certainly good, and in terms of HD use I too would be tempted.

Good luck with your decision.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:28 am

I think that I would be looking for about 91c-92c and going for it. I have only ever read rave reviews about the camera and it's very tempting.

Now, who wants to buy a kidney? ...a child? ...1975 Rabbitoh's jumper?
ozimax

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:20 pm

ozimax wrote:1975 Rabbitoh's jumper?

Russell's not a member. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby michael_ on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:52 pm

ozi have you played with a 2n? dont buy it without, the menu system is painfull, having to hold down 2 buttons to access everything becomes crazy (well it did for me), its a great camera, i dont like the LCD (spoilt by the MarkIII), if its fps you want why not just go for a 40D? but once you go xD you never go xxD :)
michael_

Postby ozimax on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Thanks Michael, I've been looking around for one to play with, no success so far, I do believe it is a discontinued model. Will keep my eyes open. Ozi
ozimax

Postby moz on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:39 pm

Wasn't there a 1DIIn for sale second hand here fairly recently? Can't see it in ForSale but I vaguely recall...

michael_ wrote:have you played with a 2n? dont buy it without, the menu system is painfull, having to hold down 2 buttons

I admit to cheating - I played with one at a trade show and was grievously irritated by that "feature". After the 30D it seemed quite annoying, and the menus weren't much either. But the focus and metering... ahhh!

I'm in the (minority?) that would love a 1D of some sort but the bulk is a little offputting. I'm kinda resigned to getting a second hand 1DIII in a couple of years as the new ones are at least slightly smaller and lighter. Perhaps a new one if the share market keeps playing silly buggers :) What I'm really hoping is that the 5D replacement is semi-sealed and full frame but otherwise much like the 40D. I'd like the 45 point focus system and sealing, but not $5000 worth of liking, let alone the full frame price.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:42 pm

Moz - rumour mill and vapour talk has it that the 5D Mk II will be semi sealed but I guess we'll have to wait. Apparently it will be out in the near future as the demo for Capture One software had a 5D MK II listed as a camera...
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby DaveB on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:20 pm

For me the 40D satisfied my camera cravings for now. It's a step up from the 30D.
I'm told the 3D (or 5DmkII, whatever: the internal name is 3D) is essentially a 40D with a full-frame sensor: the AF module is the same. I'm not expecting any additional sealing.

Personally I'm sticking with my 40D at the moment, and hoping to add a 3D to my kit during 2008.
But the 40D/3D AF system definitely isn't quite the same as the 1D IIn, nor is the frame rate the same (but 6.5 fps on the 40D isn't bad). So it's up to you.
DaveB

Postby Marty on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Hey Mate,
I have owned a mk 11n since they were released.
I use it commercialy in sports, fashion, advertising, real estate, portrait, bands, etc... it actually does everything I need.
All the people who comment about the two button menu setup havent used it enough to see how easy it is, its just like every time you need to learn a new menu system. The advantage is not accidentally changing any settings, which is important when removing/replacing camera and gear in bags frequently.
The size/weight actually benefits my shooting, you get less shake and the body balances well with good lenses attached. I shoot one handed (the other hand holds a second speedlite) with speeds down to 1/40 and get extremely sharp results.
I regularly shoot on moving boats and the camera often gets knocked and wet with salt water, and it still looks like new.
My standard battery regulary gets 1800 shots per charge, so easily lasts a day for me...!!!!!
I upgraded from a 20d and the differnce was worth every dollar, the metering is awesome and never gets it wrong, I shoot in bright sunlight to night time without lights and every exposure is spot on. Far better than I could...!
The quality is stunning with good glass, I shoot large jpegs which are blown up to billboard size and look awesome.
Go for it if you think the camera is for you.
Plus you get a free workout every time you go shooting.
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby ozimax on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:45 am

Marty wrote:Plus you get a free workout every time you go shooting.
Marty

I can always use a bit more workout time... :)

Thanks for the info Marty.

Ozi
ozimax

Postby petal666 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:22 am

I have the 1D II and 1D II N. Top cameras. I don't think that the II N really has anything over the plain II other than the larger screen.

I'm actually looking to sell the ID II as it is a lot of cash to have tied up in a spare body. It's only done 10500 frames and is waaay cheaper than US$3200 + GST. :)
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby ozimax on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:11 pm

PM sent

Ozi
ozimax

Postby Ronza on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:52 pm

Indeed, once you go for a 1-Series you don't go back...

I have a 1D II and a 1Ds (looking to upgrade to a 1Ds II). The price second hand 1D Mark IIs are going for are simply incredible, I've seen them locally for $2000 - these are insane cameras for the price.

The build quality is second to none, the weather sealing means you can hose your camera off if its been in mud/dirt and the ergonomics are fine once you get used to them. There are so many little features of the 1-Series bodies which make my opening statement true for me at least - the file name LCD is fantastic when your shooting social events and you need to take file names for captions, the voice recording is great when you have to caption, you can quickly "reset" the camera settings to a preset mode/ISO - great when you pull the camera out the bag ensuring your not shooting at ISO3200. There are also a plethora of focus options including an "extra" button near the "*" which I've tied to the centre focus point (couldn't live without this).

I went from the 20D to the 1D - for an all round camera, its simply incredible. Everything the xxD does, the 1D2 will do much better. Having actually not used a 1D Mark II N for more than a fraction of a second, I really can't comment on the real world differences but at the end of the day, a 1D 2 is a damm capable camera especially for the price.
Ronza

Return to Canon Corral