Lens upgrade, consumuer to "L Series" - questions

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Lens upgrade, consumuer to "L Series" - questions

Postby mal from cessnock on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm selling off my consumer lenses (I think that's what they're called) and upgrading to a couple of L Series beauties.

I have been using the EFS 17-85 f4-5.6 and the EF 70-300 f4-5.6 and want to improve my f stop range and image quality. Surprisingly, I've achieved good outcomes on eBay and have taken the plunge and ordered the wonderful EF 50mmL f1.2 USM. When I take delivery I'm intending to negotiate a better price and snap up the EF 70-200mmL f2.8 IS USM as well.

My first question is - why is the cost difference between these two L lens so small when the EF 70-200 f2.8 telephoto zoom is so much more substantial than the 50mm f1.2? There's only 5 hundred bucks between them when the weight : weight and size : size ratios are SO enormouse.

My second question is - will the 40D do these high end lenses justice. I imagine they are usually purchased by FF users.

What is the opinion of the board?
Last edited by mal from cessnock on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cheers

mal from cessnock
check out my smugmug
http://malcolm.smugmug.com
mal from cessnock

Postby MATT on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:38 pm

Mal I have no idea about canon goodies..

I have one question you are going for the 70-200 L 2.8 have you considered the 70-200 L 2.8 IS?

It is supposed to be the goods.. with people often following the upgrade path of F4 then F2.8 then F2.8 IS..

Cant comment on the 50 1.2 but sounds interesting.

MATT
MATT

Oops Matt

Postby mal from cessnock on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:45 pm

I forgot to include the "IS USM" in my post so I've amended it.

Yes, I agree the IS is the way to go. For about an extra grand you get 3 or 4 more stops.

Thanks for that Matt.
cheers

mal from cessnock
check out my smugmug
mal from cessnock

Postby TonyT on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:37 am

Mal I think the price of the 50mm is thats it F1.2 Much harder to build
You be amazed at how bright this len is in low light and the fast shutter speed you can get
that 40d will be find
TonyT

Postby Wocka on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:15 am

Mal,

I think the 40D will do justice to your choice of L glass. The best glass on a nice body. You won't be disappointed.

The other lens you might want to consider is the 24-70mm L/ 2.8, as you will have a gap in your focal range.

Cheers
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:23 am

It's not only about the weight but the type of glass and the amount of glass they use in those lenses.

Other things to be considered for the cost factor include the R&D, weather sealing, less use of plastic, etc over the consumer lenses.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Re: Lens upgrade, consumuer to "L Series" - questi

Postby adam on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:50 am

mal from cessnock wrote:My second question is - will the 40D do these high end lenses justice. I imagine they are usually purchased by FF users.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the first question, I roughly associate larger apertures with larger prices, particularly if it is the L - which is usually the largest aperture in the focal length :) They are both large in aperture, so both large in price - and similar in price :P My reasoning isn't strong, but it's a relation :)

The second, certainly, I'm sure the 40D will enjoy these high end lenses justice. Especially with the crop, the lenses are doing your 40D justice by taking only the usually sharp centres :) There's nothing wrong at all with using high end lenses on low end non-FF bodies :) As long as it suits your needs, there's nothing to worry about :)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

the 40D a low end camera?

Postby mal from cessnock on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:13 pm

There's nothing wrong at all with using high end lenses on low end non-FF bodies

Adam, would you really call the 40D a low end dslr? She's my pride and joy.

Otherwise, thanks for your opinion.
cheers

mal from cessnock
check out my smugmug
mal from cessnock

Postby adam on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Sorry, didn't mean that low-end is a bad thing!

Maybe I shouldn't call it low-end... more like above-low-end :D
I think perhaps because I was talking in terms of low-end high-end that I got caught in talking about ends :P

It's a great camera!
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Sweet, you're a good man Charlie Brown

Postby mal from cessnock on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Shucks, that's ok Adam.

Since we're on the subject, are there many differences between the ff and the 40D's?

The ID is the bees neez isn't it and the 5D - is that more like the 40D but with a ff sensor? Have I got the right idea?
cheers

mal from cessnock
check out my smugmug
mal from cessnock

Postby michael_ on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:33 pm

xxxD are consumer bodies
xxD are pro sumer bodies
5D is a pro sensor on a pro sumer body
1D Pro Body Pro Features, Just Pro :)

40D is a 1.6 crop sensor
5D is 35mm sensor so much more pixels per inch.

the 5D isnt a 1D in body but in soul :) its practicaly the same body as the 30D with a few ergonomic changes, menu is the same, LCD the same and i think has a little weather sealing
michael_

Postby matt-chops on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:54 am

Owning an L Series lens is kind of like owning a Muscle Car.

- It doesn't matter which one you have, they are all awesome.
- Anyone that knows what it is, wants one, and is jealous of yours.
- No matter how many you have, you don't have too many. (the wife may disagree though)
- Damn they look sexy!
Matt

Canon 5DmkII + Grip | Canon 400D + Grip | 17-40 f/4 L USM | 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM | 2 x 580 EX II | Manfrotto Stabilizing Stuff
matt-chops

Postby Grev on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:23 am

I always thought the 17-85mm IS is a very good lens, it's not an L series but it's still really good.

The Canon f1.2s are very chunky and expensive to make, and both the 50mm and the 85mm is very expensive considering what they offer.

And also if you're buying locally, there is a $500 cashback (with body purchase) for the 70-200 f4 IS, might give that a consider as well.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Re: Sweet, you're a good man Charlie Brown

Postby moz on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:39 am

mal from cessnock wrote:the 5D - is that more like the 40D but with a ff sensor?

It's much more like a 20D with a FF sensor - it doesn't have any of the whizzy new features that the 40D has compared to the 20D. It's also only got 9 AF points and 12 bit A/D. So it's very much "full frame and nothing else" but it's still much better than the other FF options in bang for buck (unless you find a reasonable 1Ds second hand).

I'm a big fan of the "if you can't tell the difference, buy the cheaper one" approach. Of course, it has led to me owning a pile of L glass just at the point where I largely stopped taking photos but you can't have everything.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Return to Canon Corral