Complete breakdown of Canon 400d

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Complete breakdown of Canon 400d

Postby Smudge on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:53 am

Ok to all the smarty, intelligent canon users out there.....of which I am not.

Took the Focusing Screen out of my 400d, cause it is slightly scratched and shit loads of bloody dust on the thing.

Got this out quite successfully, cleaned the screen and cleared the scratches from it as well.

I cant remember which bits went in first. I thought I had put it back together well, but I could hear the metal plate rattling around.

Any suggestions and drawings would be most beneficial.

I apologise for spelling, as I am tired and have been trying to put this camera back together all day.........NOT HAPPY JAN. :lol:
Smudge

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:23 am

Is this meant to be a user serviceable part? :)

I know in the Nikon FE/FM/FA range (and quite a few other cameras in that era) we had user interchangeable accessory focus screens, and I think the 40D (or was it the Mk III) has that facility as well, but that's the only DSLR that does offer this facility, to my knowledge.

How many parts are still lying around on your workbench, Emily? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby devilla101 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:56 am

Im pretty sure the 400d doesn't offer interchangeable screens so I have no idea how you managed to do it. The only cameras supported are the 1D/s, 40d and 5D.

You may have snapped something in there.
devilla101

Postby shakey on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:14 pm

Katzeye make a focussing screen for the 400D, so removing the screen is at least semi user serviceable. I put a Katzeye screen in my D70 without too much drama. Katzeye do have instructions on removing and replacing the screens which they send you purchase a screen.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Canon-400D-Focusing-Screen--prod_400D.html

You may be able to trawl through the website and find the instructions somewhere. Good luck.
shakey

Postby Yi-P on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:24 pm

Best idea is to gently pull it back out again and put everything in.

Watch out for the spacer metal piece, it might be the one loose that is rattling, and make sure the clips are fully secured.

Be sure to be VERY VERY gentle. I broke my F80 focusing screen because of that, cost me $180 and 8+ months of wait to get it back up... :evil:
Yi-P

Postby Smudge on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:36 pm

the focusing screen does come out. the screen fits in like the 20d, just a little clip and pops out.

my problem is, (dumb arse blonde girl) forgot which way the little brass shim went back in and I need a pic of this and also of the plastic, phucking crap, dust collection focus screen fitted into it.

my camera is safe and in a completely dust free enviroment.
Smudge

Return to Canon Corral