Canon Speedlite 540EZ flash

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon Speedlite 540EZ flash

Postby timno1 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:49 pm

When i used to use film i bought a Canon Speedlite 540EZ flash,and it was great,but i was told that it couldnt be used on digital cameras,so i put it away.I tried it today on my Canon EOS350D camera,firstly on the TTL setting,and it didnt work,but when i changed it to the M setting,i found there was no problem,it worked fine.
I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the Canon Speedlite 540EZ flash on a digital camera.
timno1

Re: Canon Speedlite 540EZ flash

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Why would it not work on a digital body? I may be that its feature set is not optimised for the newer bodies, but that is not a bar to its use.

What does your camera manual say about its compatibility? It probably has a list of compatible flash units, along with what the usable/compatible features might be.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby timno1 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:43 pm

I checked my camera manual and it said nothing about compatability with my flash,so i did a google search and came up with the following...."As a TTL/A-TTL flash, it doesn't work properly with EOS digital cameras."...and...."On digital cameras, you only have Manual or Multi mode. The 540EZ won't fire at all in TTL mode. Still, the flash guide in the LCD readout of the 540EZ is pretty accurate and allows one to get good flash shots with a digital camera in manual mode".
timno1

Postby robert on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:37 pm

I didnt realize this when i bought a dSLR - see my post
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27687

didnt know it would work in M though, thanks for the tip- does that mean i could use it to set up my 430EX in wireless or will only the 540 work this way??

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby Tiberius on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:45 pm

When used with a digital camera, you need an EX series flash to get the E-TTL functionality with a digital SLR. The EZ series don't work with E-TTL, so they won't work in auto mode with a dSLR. However, they will work fine in manual mode.

The Photonotes EOS Flash article goes into a lot of detail about this.
Tiberius

Return to Canon Corral