Canon EF-S 10-22 experiences

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon EF-S 10-22 experiences

Postby simbo on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi All,
Just like to say, in my first post, you guys and gals have a great forum going here. Nice to see heaps of aussie activity and so many quality postings.
I'm about to head to Europe for their summer and looking to the trip as an excuse to buy some new glass :D I currently have a 30D with 24-70 F2.8L and looking to augment my kit with a 70-200 F2.8 and a EF-S 10-22.

Lots of good information in here on the 70-200 (although I'm still at a quandary if I should go for IS or not). The 70-200 will be used for some Tour de France shots and candids.

I was wondering if anyone's has experience with the EF-S 10-22 lens. The general consensus on some other sites is that it's a good quality lens almost worthy of a 'L' moniker. I'd be using the lens for street scapes and landscapes. As such, I don't see that I'll have it wide open.

Are owners happy with the IQ and build of the lens? How does it compare to other wide angle lenses such as the Sigma and the Canon 14 L?
I have read that the IQ Sigma is not as sharp as the EF-S 10-22. I have assumed for the Canon 14L is not as good a fit with the 30D due to the sensor crop.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,
Simon.
simbo

Re: Canon EF-S 10-22 experiences

Postby mickeyjuice on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:36 pm

The 14L is a fantastic lens, but seriously expensive.

I've got a Sigma 10-20. and I'm very happy with it. There's a thread over at Fred Miranda's comparing the two, and there's a lot of happy Sigma owners posting.

Also, with CR Kennedy's price match on Sigma lenses, it's a GREAT value lens. (I've got 2 Canon and 6 Sigma lenses, so I'm not a bigot for either.)
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby ozimax on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:28 pm

G'day & welcome to the forum.

I have a 30D, 10-22mm and 70-200 F2.8 (non IS). Last year I bought the IS model but I sold it for the non IS version. I just wasn't happy with the sharpness of the IS model, but am stoked with the 70-200 F2.8 lens. For travelling though, there is no way I would want to lug all that gear around. The 70-200 F4 (either version) is a much better travel lens IMHO, it is just as sharp and well built as the 2.8 series. You can't go wrong with any of the four Canon 70-200 lens.

As for the 10-22mm, it is a spectacular lens in every respect. Built to L standard, the colours and sharpness are exceptional. It would definitely be an L series lens except for the fact that it is EF-S. It is a tad wide for landscapes, but for architecture, group portraits etc it is unbeatable. However, it is pricey. I suppose you get what you pay for!

You can check out some 10-22 pics and comments from these threads:

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29559&sid=92c614633fa2adfc3f50dae5248a898b

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29257&sid=92c614633fa2adfc3f50dae5248a898b
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby robert on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Simon,
Welcome aboard.

Envious of you going to the TDF, my wife hates July cos I'm up late every night!

I intially went with a Tokina 12-24, and when I got it home did some testing and phone book shots and found it to be quite soft. Swapped it for a 10-22 and never been happier. I have never really used it wide open but very happy a few stops down. I dont have any L lenses so cant comment on the 14mm, all I can guess is it is probably much better wide open but stop it down to f8 and I'd guess its the same as the 10-22. Build quality is above other consumer lenses.

If you go for the 10-22, I'd also suggest getting it well before you go cos after going crazy with how wide it is and accidently taking shots showing your tripod legs!, its takes quite a bit of experimentation to figure out how to get good foreground cos its soooo wide.

Maybe with the $1500 you save, you could go for the 35 1.4L for some wide open shallow DOF shots. Its definately next on my list.

Good luck

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby adam on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:18 am

simbo wrote:Hi All,
Just like to say, in my first post, you guys and gals have a great forum going here. Nice to see heaps of aussie activity and so many quality postings.
I'm about to head to Europe for their summer and looking to the trip as an excuse to buy some new glass :D I currently have a 30D with 24-70 F2.8L and looking to augment my kit with a 70-200 F2.8 and a EF-S 10-22.

Lots of good information in here on the 70-200 (although I'm still at a quandary if I should go for IS or not). The 70-200 will be used for some Tour de France shots and candids.

I was wondering if anyone's has experience with the EF-S 10-22 lens. The general consensus on some other sites is that it's a good quality lens almost worthy of a 'L' moniker. I'd be using the lens for street scapes and landscapes. As such, I don't see that I'll have it wide open.

Are owners happy with the IQ and build of the lens? How does it compare to other wide angle lenses such as the Sigma and the Canon 14 L?
I have read that the IQ Sigma is not as sharp as the EF-S 10-22. I have assumed for the Canon 14L is not as good a fit with the 30D due to the sensor crop.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,
Simon.

Based on using the EF-S 10-22 a few times:
I'd disagree with one of the posts here that says "built to L standard" - just doesn't feel as solid as the L's :P , but the image quality is satisfying.
Comparing to the Tokina 12-24 (which I have), I like the UltraSonic Motor (nice and quiet) and Full Time Manual focussing. I don't like the non-constant aperture though - which is only an annoyance to me when shooting wide open, but no problem at all when stopped down on a tripod, and should be no problem for you as you said that you'll have it stopped down. To me, the Tokina 12-24 feels better built, but the Canon 10-22 build still feels durable. Shooting at 10mm is a real perspective opener :D Even 12mm on the 12-24 let me see things differently, it's so cool :)

I bought the Tokina 12-24 at the same time I bought the 70-200 f/2.8L IS... this is the lens that spoilt me and made me feel that all my other lenses at the time were rubbish. The build solid, the images magic. I was choosing between this and the 135L but after trying the zoom, I wanted the versatility. Even shooting on P mode with this lens on was super. For me, the IS has been very useful, having shot handhelds in events ISO3200 f/2.8 1/20sec 200mm, and not be able to shoot any faster made me feel like I was at the limit of this lens. It depends what conditions you see yourself shooting in. Even if I don't have IS turned on, I can turn it on when I need it :D The sealing on it is great! A month after I got it, I had beer poured over it and it was fine. But sometimes on a bright day outside, if I shoot f/4 with IS off, I will wonder "why didn't I just get the f/4 non IS, cheaper and lighter!" :D haha, but then I think of the ISO3200 f/2.8 1/20sec shots and feel it justified.

If you need the larger aperture, I think go for the 14L! After getting my 35L, zooms feel too slow for me, even at f/2.8, shooting the primes wide open give a look which you can only get from shooting it wide open! :D I was choosing between the 35L and 24-70 and haven't regretted the 35L - having shot in ISO3200 f/1.4 1/6sec hand held makes me feel my purchase justified :D haha
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Viz on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Simon,

I have a Sigma 14mm 2.8 and use it on a 40D. While it is a good lens, I recommend the 10-22mm Canon, because it will serve you extremely well in terms of resolving capacity for the price difference, plus it is a little faster. While I respect Sigma, and understand there are many happy customers here, there is something about the fine details for landscapes etc that leaves me wanting more - and I have a prime.

That said, I still use this lens HEAPS!!! ... as in maybe 80% of the time I leave the house with a Canon. And I have been looking at getting the 10-22 for travel. I just happened to pick the Sigma 14 up at $500, so it made ecenomic sense. I also like the slight 2.8 advantage for availble light gig photography.

If you are in Sydney for whatever reason, I am happy to let you play with this lens, or email you sample images via the net to inspect.
Dan The Batch Automator
Viz

Postby simbo on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi All,

Just to let you know, I did jump for both the EF-S 10-22 and the 70-200 2.8L non IS. I'm really happy with both, but I have to say the 10-22 is stellar and so much fun! I think this lens may open up some great creative opportunities in small spaces... I look forward to putting them both through the paces on holiday.

I purchased both lenses from the new d-d-photographics shop in Brisbane. It was a very pleasant experience from placing the order online through to picking it up from the store. The bloke that runs the store in Brisbane was very helpful and professional. I'd definitely use them again (hmm...a TC extender looks good at the moment).

Thanks again for comments from the other board members, as it did help in purchasing.

Cheers,
Simon.
simbo

Postby dviv on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:01 pm

I love mine!

It's not a "L" lens - it doesn't feel as solid as my 70-200's..... but really - who cares??? :mrgreen: It's great fun and takes excellent photos - It complements my 17-50 and 70-200 beautifully.

Some shots:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32434
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby rmp on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 am

It's not built to L standards. Mine had to be rebuilt, but it does get used a lot in harsh conditions like swirling dust on a road. It is a good lens though, and AFAIK the only option in that range (10mm+). Not sure if Canon will bring out an L equivalent as it's an EF-S mount. Recommended if you're into landscapes or any other photography that requires a wide angle. The non-constant aperture doesn't bother me, it's hardly the lens to go for small-DOF shots.
--
Robert
rmp

Return to Canon Corral