Witch Fisheye? 15mm vs others

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Witch Fisheye? 15mm vs others

Postby Nick Cooper on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:13 pm

Ok, Ive been thinking of this for a while now and was wondering if any of you great Canon users here could help me out.

I'm currently looking for a fisheye lens but not sure if i should choose Canon, Sigma or Tokina.

The Canon 15mm 2.8 ive heard has great autofocus and is as sharp as a tack. Only problem is that it does seem to be wide enough on a 30D (with 1.6x crop)

The Sigma 10mm 2.8 i have heard has great autofocus aswell and is also as sharp as anything. But, apparently its only a 160 degreez view.

The Tokina 10-17 ive seen some great results from it. Its a full frame fisheye on a 30D and can be used if i need to upgrade to say Mark 2 N or 3. Only setback is the f/3-4.5 so i cant shoot in low light.

Does anyone use any of these or know any that are for sale?

Cheers, coops
a camera that takes pictures, a lens that suits and a pair of metal poles to hold it all together

terrabytes and terrabytes of memory
Nick Cooper

Re: Witch Fisheye? 15mm vs others

Postby Hugh on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:12 am

I've never used either of the lenses you mentioned....

But...

I've used the Sigma 8mm, and it's a fantastic lens. On a full-frame sensor, you get a circle in the middle of the frame, with 180 degree view.
If you're on a cropped-frame sensor, Sigma also do a 4.5mm lens.

This shot was taken with the 8mm lens on a 5D:
Hugh Macdonald
Photography
Hugh

Return to Canon Corral