5D Replacement....

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

5D Replacement....

Postby Doctor on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:04 pm

So, im looking at buying a 5d, but trying to decide whether to hold out for the replacement, and buy a 5D if the price drops... I wont be able to afford the replacement at all, so the 5d is it for me, so when is the 5d replacement due?

Cheers

Chris
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Re: 5D Replacement....

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:51 pm

The 5D 's replacement was announced just over a month ago. Did you miss it?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Doctor on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:29 pm

gstark wrote:The 5D 's replacement was announced just over a month ago. Did you miss it?

lol yeah, i missed it by a long shot, didnt realise i had, will have to do some research now..... any links would be appreciated as well, if funds dont allow, ill get myself a 40d in the meantime.....
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby DaveB on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Ouch. Sarcasm-detector might be faulty... :cough:
The Nikon D700 that Gary's referring to isn't Canon's replacement for the 5D!

General consensus seems to be that Canon will announce a replacement for the 5D before the Photokina tradeshow (late September this year in Cologne). Based on previous cameras they might in fact announce it any time between now and then.
That's about as accurate a guess as anyone can give you at the moment. Of course, when the 5D's replacement comes out the cost of a 5D will drop (especially 2nd-hand units) so if you hold on for a bit you'll get the option of a cheap 5D (which will still be a nice camera) or a more-expensive 3D/5Dii/7D/whatever. Ok, so it's possible that Canon might introduce the new camera at the same pricepoint or cheaper than the 5D, but the 5D will drop to below that...
DaveB

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:22 pm

DaveB wrote:Ouch. Sarcasm-detector might be faulty... :cough:
The Nikon D700 that Gary's referring to isn't Canon's replacement for the 5D!

:)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Grev on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:06 pm

Actually I might get a 5D when the new one comes out just for fun.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby Doctor on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Had me going! Well, thats what i suspected for an announcement on it, but i wasnt sure if i had missed something.

Sounds like ill hold off on a 5d for now, might try and find a 40d in the meantime for the second body, and relegate the 400d to the box when the 5d arrives.

Cheers guys!
Doctor

Postby TonyT on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Search the threads for the 40D and its problems
even a current 5D might be a good bet as it is still a good camera and would be a good backup.
TonyT

Postby Doctor on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:21 pm

The 5d will be the main camera for myself, i want a full frame for the most use, and the camera i have now will become the backup, the main reason im looking for a second body at the moment is im going to the MotoGP in October at Phillip Island and dont want to be changing lenses while im wandering around. I did this at the Clipsal 500 this year, and hated it, i want one body to have my zoom on it for on track shots, and the other to have a small lens on it to take off track shots (cars in pits etc).

I will search the 40d problems, and go from there, i have been offered the use of another 400d for the weekend, but would still like a second body, and originally wanted the 40d, but couldnt afford it in time for the Clipsal weekend, so the 400d was settled on, if i decide to wait for the 5d and not buy a second body, ill just spend more money on other parts of my kit in the meantime!

Cheers :cheers:

Chris
Doctor

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Ben posted one for sale earlier today. Why not check this thread?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Doctor on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Cheers for the heads up! I have been watching that area, but was yet to spot anything i needed!! Will look into it, although i would love a brand new one, its certainly a good idea!

:cheers:

Chris
Doctor

Return to Canon Corral