shutter count reset

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

shutter count reset

Postby stevo on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:36 pm

G'day all..

I took the card out of my new 40D and put it in my 10D and then swapped it back to tthe 40D..

Minor hicup is that my 40D is now showing 5600 shutter actuations instead of the couple of hundred it should have.... it's picked up the count from the 10D.

Any ideas how to reset it back to where it should be???? or have I just shot 5 1/2 thousand shots in a fortnight.. :roll:
Last edited by stevo on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon stuff
stevo

Re: sutter count reset

Postby Yi-P on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:41 pm

It picks back up from the last image I assume...
Format the card, take a pic, rename it to what you thought it might be and stick it back in, and take few shots?
Yi-P

Postby stevo on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Tried that and also removed the back up battery and reset the camera..

The 10D has also gained a couple of hundred shots from the 40D.
Canon stuff
stevo

Postby stevo on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 pm

OK.. found it.. there's a manual reset function in the menu......

Back to 0 now .... well 3 anyway..
Canon stuff
stevo

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Stevo, is it just the numbering sequence, or has it gained them when you check with something like Iexif? There should be a manual reset if just the numbering.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby stevo on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:03 pm

I think you're right Glen ... it just appears to be the numbering sequence.

How do I check the exif data????
Canon stuff
stevo

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 pm

Actually, your shutter count has not changed.

The displayed image number may have changed, that's how it works, but so what? Don't worry about it though: consider what happens when your camera gets to 9999 clicks: it ticks back over to 0. What will you be wanting to do then? :)

This is simply nothing worth worrying about.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: shutter count reset

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi Steve,
http://www.opanda.com has a free product called Iexif. If you mouse over a jpg it will tell you how many shutter actuations by the camera but also aperture, shutter speed, camera, lens length, etc. Price is right :up:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby stevo on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks Gary n Glen ....

Wasn't stressed about it, just seemed a bit odd and I was hopin to keep a least a rough idea of how much I'm hitting the button seeing as it's a damn sight easier to get carried away when ya don't have to keep puttin in new rolls...

Although I don't think I'll be wearing it out anytime soon ...

Just gotta keep my lens aquiring to a sensible level ... :roll: ... just added a 70 - 200 f4L to the bag.

Can't quite justify a 2.8L IS .........................yet
Canon stuff
stevo

Postby petal666 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Glen wrote:Hi Steve,
http://www.opanda.com has a free product called Iexif. If you mouse over a jpg it will tell you how many shutter actuations by the camera...:
Not for Canons it won't.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby DaveB on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:52 pm

For any Canon other than the 1-series units, the only way to find out the shutter count is to run the service diagnostics software against it. And Canon doesn't like giving that to anyone. For the 10D and 40D, opanda won't give you anything useful.

The rest of this applies to all cameras, not just Canons:

The file numbering will skip ahead if you put a card with higher-numbered images into the camera. It does that to stop overwriting files on the card! Just get used to the file numbers not having any significant value.

In fact, by swapping cards you'll have got your cameras close to the same numbers, and it's quite likely you'll end up with each camera producing images with the same name (on different cards). It's for reasons like this that you should rename your files as soon as you import them to your computer, making each filename "globally" unique. The names on the cards are only guaranteed to be unique within the context of that card!
DaveB

Postby stevo on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:43 pm

ahh .. that explains why, when I ran that software I couldn't see anything that looked like a shutter count when I looked at the 10D's pics at the workshop.... I figured I must be missing something and was gonna try it on the 40D's pictures at home.

It certainly gave me some very usefull info about the shots tho....

At least I'm learnin new stuff .. n I guess if I'm askin questions then I'm probably not the only one that doesn't know :wink:
Canon stuff
stevo

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks Dave and Petal. I have learnt something new. I had no idea Canons couldn't be read. Does that mean when you buy a second hand Canon you can't tell how many shots it has done? The don't have a user readable odometer as such?
Thank You
Glen

Postby petal666 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Glen wrote:Thanks Dave and Petal. I have learnt something new. I had no idea Canons couldn't be read. Does that mean when you buy a second hand Canon you can't tell how many shots it has done? The don't have a user readable odometer as such?

Not without going to Canon or replying on the sellers honesty. But really most people never even put much 10,000 shots on their cameras, if that.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Return to Canon Corral