Brief review of the Canon 50D

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Brief review of the Canon 50D

Postby devilla101 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:40 pm

Well I decided to get this camera and the Canon 85mm 1.2 lens after deciding not to buy the 1D Mark III.

Got the camera from Discount Camera Warehouse since they had it for $1699 compared to DD Photographics at $1800+. The Canon 85mm 1.2 was from Stu at Quality Camera Sales, and as always top service and quick delivery from him (not to mention cheaper).

Anyway since this camera and lens will be used for my wedding gigs and on my casual days, I decided to take a trip to Auburn Botanical Gardens to test it out.

After spending a couple of hours with the camera I have to admit it definitely is a nice upgrade from the 30D.

Here are my initial positive impressions:
- The camera felt really comfortable in the hand and is comparative to the 5D.
- Lovely sharp, bright and near-accurate LCD display makes viewing so much easier.
- Metering seems to be accurate compared to my 5D and 30D (or I'm getting better) and most of the time I didn't need to chimp on exposure compensation.
- Besides shooting in RAW I also shot in Jpeg. All I have to say is that I was very impressed with how the camera processed them. Great colors, contrast and saturation. I actually feel confident shooting jpegs again.
- Didn't do much post processing from the RAW files. Only need slight curve adjustments and slightly 'boosted' the colours (Although I suspect the 85 1.2 is responsible for the great colours and contrast).
- ISO 3200 is usable after cleaning up and helps in dimly lit rooms.
- New menu system I found to be intuitive. Love the "My Menu" section.
- With the external speedlite mounted, I can now further customise it via the camera menu system.
- AF Microadjustment. Great tool to have and tried it on my 17-55. It works.

And my initial negative impressions:
- I found it very easy to switch to AUTO ISO and at times found it confusing why my ISO kept changing (Yeah stupid me)
- With Highlight Tone Priority on, noise was evident in shadows even when shooting at ISO 200 but only when you pixel peep.
- ISO 6400. Kind of a toss up. If you need the shot then use it. It is usable but only to record an event. Definitely not for the details
- ISO 12000+++. Hmmm for those desperate shots. Comes with free snow effect on every shot it seems :)
- Custom Functions. So many options. I have to say its a negative for the time being because now I have to read the manual to find out what the new ones do. :)

Anyway that concludes my brief review. Below are somes shots taken today. Resized and sharpened for the web. Enjoy

devilla101

Re: Brief review of the Canon 50D

Postby willer on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Hey, great photos. I too have recently purchased the 50D, upgraded from the 350D which I've had for the past three years. Although I've always thought the 350 was a great camera, the 50D is simply awesome. Plan to really ramp up some decent and more creative photo taking now rather than simply taking snaps of what looks good at the time, using the full capabilities of the camera is now my challenge! Look forward to seeing further photos you have taken.
Eric (Willer)
Canon 350D, 50D
http://willeraus.smugmug.com/
willer

Postby Doctor on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:25 pm

I Picked up my 50d Friday afternoon and spent the day at the zoo shooting with it. Now to find the Raw codec (any help appreciated) so i can view my photos in Adobe Bridge and process them! Loving the new body though, a huge improvement over the 400d i was using, with better feel in hand and a screen that is infinitely better than the 400d one. Anyone know if a batter grip from a 30d/40d will fit a 50d? Thats one thing i miss from my 400d is the battery grip, and would love one on the 50d, i have been offered one from a 30/40d and would love to know if it fits.....

Cheers

Chris
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby Doctor on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Ok, so i found the Camera Raw 5.1 update, in which it has support for the 50d, but it says its not compatible with Photoshop CS3, which is less than helpful as i cant afford the new CS4 due to the camera purchase! Does anyone have a way around this?
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby jammy2 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Try Adobe DNG converter as an interim solution...worked for D90
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... rm=windows
jammy2

Postby Doctor on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Cheers for that link, i couldnt find a place to get the 4.6 update, fingers crossed it works until i can get a copy of CS4!

On the other hand, brilliant camera! Just need to find out if 40d battery grip will fit now!
Doctor

Postby devilla101 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:36 am

Hey mate,

If you can get a grip thats fitted 20D, 30D and/or 40D then it will be fine on the 50D.

My old 30D grip fitted just fine on the 50D and no infamous err99 popped up.

If you do want to edit 50D raw and don't have cs4 then do go for Adobe DNG converter as Jammy2 suggested. Works a treat albeit slows down a bit on your processing time since you have to wait xx minutes for the program to convert to DNGs
devilla101

Postby Doctor on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:51 pm

Awesome, will certainly be getting my mitts on one then!

As for the RAW editing, i grabbed the 4.6 update and replaced the raw plugin and it seems to be working ok, so will stick with that till i can get a copy of CS4 :)

Cheers guys
Doctor

Postby robert on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Just got my 50D on Friday. Anyone know how to display raw thumbnails. I used to use irfanview, but now the cr2's dont display as thumbnails in windows folders. Irfanview thumbnail viewer works but as a standolone program.
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby devilla101 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:27 pm

robert wrote:Just got my 50D on Friday. Anyone know how to display raw thumbnails. I used to use irfanview, but now the cr2's dont display as thumbnails in windows folders. Irfanview thumbnail viewer works but as a standolone program.

Hey Rob

Never use Irfanview but if budget allows I suggest getting Breezebrowser Pro. Sweet, fast and well supported program for viewing RAW

Ron
devilla101

Postby aim54x on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Great to hear some feedback on the 50D. I have been away from the retail game for a little while so I have not been able to keep up with the new bodies as I have in the past. Sounds like you canon boys now have another great camera to add to your stable.

Congrats on your purchases all of you, special mentions to Devilla for the 85 f/1.2.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Ron,

devilla101 wrote:Never use Irfanview

Are you saying that you never use it, or are you cautioning against its use?

if the latter, could you please elaborate on the issues you've come up against?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby devilla101 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:41 pm

gstark wrote:Ron,

Oops, to clarify, I've never used the program so I can't comment or offer any help.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Gary
devilla101

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:55 pm

devilla101 wrote:
gstark wrote:Ron,

Oops, to clarify, I've never used the program so I can't comment or offer any help.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Gary

Not a problem, Ron.

I appreciate the clarification. I was worried that was something that I wasn't aware of. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Canon Corral