Dpreview has just posted the Canon50D review

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Dpreview has just posted the Canon50D review

Postby makario on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:20 am

Dpreview has just posted the canon 50D review.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

Cheers
Mak
Canonian
"The Reward is in the doing of it..!!" - Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/makro
makario

Re: Dpreview has just posted the Canon50D review

Postby robert on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:01 pm

It seems general consensus is that the IQ is not a lot better than the 40D, and at high ISO it may even be worse. If you have a 40D its not a giant leap.

I just got my 50D today! paid $1575 at local JB HiFi. Did a ring around last week and found a harvey norman had them in stock at the pre $collapse price so called JB HiFi and they matched it, so I didnt have to drive across town. They ordered it on Mon and got it today (Friday).

I got the 50d mainly because my 400D didnt have live view and i often hold the camera low and angle up with a WA to accentuate foreground.
I also liked the 10x focus assist.
400D was just too small for my hands- my pinky didnt rest on the camera.
I was also interested in the AF micro adjust as my 50 1.8 has a slight back focus issue. The focus was off by about 5cm at 1.5m. Sounds pedantic but as this is my portrait lens it means the eye or focal point sometimes wasnt as sharp as i wanted. Havent tried the adjust yet as i havenet got home from work!!

I was more than happy with the image quality of the 400D. Then again- you dont know how good it can be till you see it compared. I was recently looking at some B&W prints I'd made with tech pan 35mm (ISO 25 and pretty much the finest grain film ever made) and couldnt believe the grain in a 20x24 inch print!! At the time i thought it was like looking through a mirror!
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Return to Canon Corral