Flash buying advice

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Flash buying advice

Postby garyr on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi folks,

Hoping to get some advice please on purchasing a flash for my 40D. My needs are not very demanding, and I suppose almost anything will be better than the pop-up flash I currently use, budget is limited, but I am cautious of buying too cheap. Mostly it will be on the hotshoe, but I can see times when I'd like to trigger it remotely off camera (wired or wireless). Don't think I'll need anything more than a 430EX - is it worth spending the extra for a 430EXII? Are there any reasonable alternatives to the OEM that will do the same job but at a cheaper price, or will I regret going down that road?

Some options I am looking at (Amazon prices for comparison):
Canon 430EX Speedlite Flash for Canon EOS SLR Cameras by Canon - US$ 189.95
Sigma EF-530 DG ST Electronic Flash for Canon DSLR by Sigma - US$ 149.99
Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras by Canon - US$ 249.99
Sigma EF-530 DG Super EO-ETTL II Electronic Flash for Canon EOS by Sigma - US$ 219.00

I have no experience with flash - so any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
GaryR

40D, 24-105L/F4, 50/1.8, no talent
garyr

Re: Flash buying advice

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:58 pm

If you plan to buy locally then it is pretty hard to find a 430EX, my partner just purchased a 430EXII (~$400 from Tom Saades Camera House, but anyone else should be able to offer something similar) and is very happy with it.

I am not too familiar with the Sigma flashes, but maybe someone else on the forum will be able to help you out with this one.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby mickeyjuice on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:59 pm

I probably shouldn't say this, but I've got 4 550EXs I bought off eBay over the last couple of years. Very happy with them.
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby garyr on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks Cameron and MickeyJuice,

Prices on eBay seem a bit crazy....The 430EXII is about more than I can comfortably afford (lots of explaining and house choring will have to happen ;)) but if it must be......Would be keen on views on the Sigma's. There are quite a few nissin/sunpak units around for what seems like a reasonable price but I worry too much.

Cheers
Gary
GaryR

40D, 24-105L/F4, 50/1.8, no talent
garyr

Postby ozonejunkie on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:31 pm

I own a 580EX II that I am more then happy with! That probably doesn't help your decision much though...

I have heard a number of people that have bought the Sigma flashes when trying to save a penny, but later regretted it. Supposedly the build quality of the Canon's is much superior - but then I suppose that is what you pay for!

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby stevo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:37 pm

I bought a 430EX from Camerasdirect last month for $322.75 landed at my door..

It was well packed and it works fine.. it's grey import as it had the manual in chinese but they included a photcopy of the english one..

They also included a current copy of Australian Geographic in the box.

I'm happy with the flash and it does all I need from it..
Canon stuff
stevo

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:05 pm

stevo wrote:They also included a current copy of Australian Geographic in the box.

:?: :!: :?:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stevo on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 am

gstark wrote:
stevo wrote:They also included a current copy of Australian Geographic in the box.

:?: :!: :?:

Yeah Gary, I sorta did the same thing?? what the????

But they must have a deal or something with them as there was a copy and subscription form in there.

If you scroll down to the bottom of their webpage there's a "members" special offer on subscriptions to Aus Geographic with a small backpack and map.

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/

Either way it was the best deal I could find on a 430EX and it works well as a slave with my 550EX.
Canon stuff
stevo

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 am

stevo wrote:If you scroll down to the bottom of their webpage there's a "members" special offer on subscriptions to Aus Geographic with a small backpack and map.

Ok, it's a suck-it-and-see deal. Certainly nothing wrong with that.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby paulmac on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:27 pm

I bought a 430ex (v1) second hand off fleabay a few months ago, and have been very pleased with it. I've never found it lacking in power for "normal" shots. (I didn't even realise there was a Mk II)
I'd imagine that if you have aspirations of being a pro 'tog in the future, then the 580 would probably serve you better.

Alternatively, buy the 430 now, and then get a 580 later, which can remote control your 430, for when you get the strobist bug!

Something I've had fun with is using the flash in bounce mode, ie aiming it towards the roof, or even better, over your shoulder so it comes off the (white) walls as well. It gives a beautiful light to your subjects, rather than the papparazi look you get with front-on flash.

This is one difference with the 430 though, is that if you hold the camera in portrait, with your right hand up, as if you had a battery grip, the 430 will only point straight up to the roof. If the camera is held the other way round, ie right hand grip down, the flash will rotate over your shoulder. The 580 will rotate all the way around in both directions. Either way, it's not a deal breaker, but I reckon Canon built it in just to help differentiate the two models...

I understand the Sigma flash also has a light sensitive trigger mode, which will allow you to remotely trigger it using your on-board flash. Again, nothing that can't be replicated with some cheapy fleabay remotes, which are also good fun...
paulmac

Postby surenj on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:33 am

I have a 430EX version 1 and use it on camera as well with flea bay remotes which give reasonable results. Good luck with your purchase.
surenj

Return to Canon Corral