Whatever happened to Eye Control Focus

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Whatever happened to Eye Control Focus

Postby robert on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:38 am

I used to love the ECF on my EOS 5 and then EOS 3. I know it wasnt everyone's cup of tea but I loved it. No need to focus and recompose.

I currently have the centre AF point highlighted and recompose, I just had too erratic results with the camera choosing the focus point.

I want it back! Is there a technical reason with digital, or am I the only one who wants it?
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Re: Whatever happened to Eye Control Focus

Postby moz on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 am

From previous posts and other forums it seemed to be something that worked really well for a minority of users, and erratically or not at all for the rest. For people with glasses it almost never worked, and overall it just seemed to be a diversion from making the camera go.

Personally, I think the idea is excellent and if it worked I'd be keen to try it. But I've played with it briefly and it only worked at all if I blinded myslef by taking my glasses off, which meant it was unusable outside a studio (where it's superfluous).

I expect Canon have given it up as way too hard, even if the technology has improved it'd still take effort, space and battery life to make it go, and I doubt there's enough demand to make it a key feature.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Return to Canon Corral