Flash questions

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Flash questions

Postby ozimax on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:54 am

I haven't owned a flash since my D70 days (SB600). I borrowed a flash to shoot a wedding a couple of weeks ago (EX420) and it was a lot of fun. I am thinking of buying a flash and really learning how to use it.

The EX 430 Mk II seems the go. I have a close friend who can lend me an EX580 (mkI) anytime, attach this to my 40D, and use it to remotely trigger an EX430 on a stand with an umbrella. (I do have access to studio strobes whenever I want them, but they are cumbersome and useless on the beach, headlands, parks etc.)

Here's my question(s):
1. Is the EX430 powerful enough to be used as a remote flash with umbrella/softbox?
2. Is the 580 mkii worth the extra dough? (It is almost twice the price).
3. Has anyone used one of these flashes on a G9? (I know - the setup looks silly but "supposedly" they work well)

Any advice from strobeheads will be appreciated, with thanks.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Flash questions

Postby muzz on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Ozimax,

I haven't had time yet to look through all the posts you've made :lol: so I'll go ahead and offer something that you may have already seen. Have you checked out the Strobist site? I've been ploughing my way through it bit by bit and there is a heap of information relating to the use of these flashes in various ways, especially off camera and with light modifiers etc.

If you didn't want the 580EX on-camera to trigger the remote, I'm sure you know about the pros and cons of wireless triggering. However there is a great modification of a Canon off-camera cord here in these forums which looks like you get to keep all the TTL metering as well.

Sorry if this is old info.

Cheers, Murray
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby ozimax on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks Murray. Yes, I have strolled through the Strobist site, but I don't have a spare month to read it all! :) I will check out the site you offered.

My main question is regarding the EX430's ability to power an umbrella/softbox as opposed to more powerful options. I did see a Joe McNally video the other day where he was using 3 x SB800s coupled together and an umbrella (plus another on his camera) for a portrait shoot - for me that is overkill. To be honest, the power from even one of these units seems amazing. However, the EX430 evidently is not as powerful as the 580 model.

Ozi.
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

muzz wrote:If you didn't want the 580EX on-camera to trigger the remote, I'm sure you know about the pros and cons of wireless triggering. However there is a great modification of a Canon off-camera cord here in these forums which looks like you get to keep all the TTL metering as well.

I did read this post. Looks like a good idea. However, I do want to go wireless. I hate junk, even the thought of Pocket Wizards all over the place doesn't do it for me.

Now, why can't Canon invent a camera that triggers remote flash, like Nikon? My old D70 remotely fired off the SB600 perfectly, no matter where I held the flash. Yeah I know the answer, Nikon make great cameras, Canon great lens et al....

Anyway, we'll keep investigating!
ozimax

Postby muzz on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:54 pm

This looks like a good review - half way down there is a comparison between the 430EX and the 580EX:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/canon-430ex-speedlite-flash-review.aspx

Cheers, Muzz
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby DaveB on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 pm

I currently have a 580EX (mk.I) and a 420EX, mainly used on a 40D.
Just to be pedantic for a second: Canon's naming scheme has the numbers first, and the EX at the end. ;)

ozimax wrote:1. Is the EX430 powerful enough to be used as a remote flash with umbrella/softbox?
That depends. Bouncing off a silvered umbrella loses less light, but shooting through a diffuser may produce the effect you're after. How much light do you need it to produce? Fill flash in daylight? etc...
I'm currently using the 420EX as the remote, and the 580EX either on-camera or off a bit (attached via an OCSC-2).

2. Is the 580 mkii worth the extra dough? (It is almost twice the price).
Compared to the 430EX II ?
It can be a master, and it has more power. You can decide what that's worth to you.

3. Has anyone used one of these flashes on a G9? (I know - the setup looks silly but "supposedly" they work well)
Yep. They work just as you would expect. But generally if I'm shooting with my G9 it's because I was travelling light, and the flashes won't have come along for the ride...

Because the inter-flash communication is via IR light, and the sun puts out a lot of this which can interfere with the signalling, you need to be careful of how you set up remote flashes in daylit situations. But indoors in general they "just work". I'm considering adding either a 580EX II or an STE-2 controller to my rig so I can have two remote flashes.
Note that with recent bodies, the II-model flashes can be configured via the camera's menus: no more needing to keep cheat sheets of which custom function does what...
DaveB

Postby ozimax on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:38 am

DaveB wrote:I currently have a 580EX (mk.I) and a 420EX, mainly used on a 40D.
Just to be pedantic for a second: Canon's naming scheme has the numbers first, and the EX at the end. ;)

I did know that and have used several Canon flashes. Just an off day with my English syntax. Or is dyslexia coming on? :D

DaveB wrote:1. Is the EX430 powerful enough to be used as a remote flash with umbrella/softbox?That depends. Bouncing off a silvered umbrella loses less light, but shooting through a diffuser may produce the effect you're after. How much light do you need it to produce? Fill flash in daylight? etc...
I'm currently using the 420EX as the remote, and the 580EX either on-camera or off a bit (attached via an OCSC-2

I have no one particular scenario in view. It could be at the beach, inside etc. Shooting through a diffuser is what I'm aiming at though.

I feel that I am going to need a 580EX as a master AND a 430EX. I suppose ideally 2 x 580EX would be perfect but I don't have the moolah at present for that.

Thanks Dave for your input.

Ozi.
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:33 pm

I have purchased a 430EX and will experiment over Christmas. I have also ordered a shoot through umbrella, bracket and stand from Fotogen in Adelaide. We'll see how this works when it arrives.

I have also bought a new flash diffuser from the post office. Yes, a bubble wrap bag, to be attached to the flash with a rubber band. Cost, 85c (AUD). :)

Only time will tell if it works!
ozimax

Return to Canon Corral