Canon 5DMK2 Flash Issue

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 5DMK2 Flash Issue

Postby Lostman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:45 pm

Hey all,

Bought my Canon 5d Mark 2 a few days ago. I then picked up a Quantaray by Sunpak XLF-50 Flash for Canon. The camera didn't recognize it and it wouldn't work. Does anyone know a flash that is compatible with this camera? I'm new to the DSLR game and like that the above flash has the built in defuser and can bounce the flash off the celing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lostman

Re: Canon 5DMK2 Flash Issue

Postby jdear on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:46 pm

what about a canon flash? 580 / 580ex II works perfectly for my 5DMKII.
also try the canon 430ex II if you want a smaller less powerful flash without a sync port. (and cheaper - $580ex II around $620)
jdear

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi, and welcome.

Where are you located? With you having bought a Quantaray, that leads me to suspect that you're in the USA. Please read the FAQ, please read the pink section headed "forum rules" near the top of this very page, and please place a meaningful location in your profile. That will enable us to help you better.

As Jonathan suggests, buying one of the Canon units will address this problem. Why did you buy the Quantaray? A salesperson's recommendation?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Lostman on Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Yes Sir. I'm new to the DSLR game so I went to where I figured I'd get some decent advice, Wolf Camera. The guy told me it was compatible with my camera and gave me some of the reasons why it was a better flash. It all made sense and I've had a good experience with their store brand carbon fiber tripod.

I'm fixing my profile now for the location. Thanks.
Lostman

Postby DaveB on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:22 pm

This is a known issue. BTW, that Quantaray is also sold as the Sunpak RD-2000.

Canon changed something in the 5DmkII and the 50D. Third-party E-TTL flashes like the SunPak and Sigma units are not working with these cameras. The fix will require firmware upgrades from the flash manufacturer.
DaveB

Postby Lostman on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:28 am

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. I don't really NEED a flash right now with what I'm doing so I can wait for the rest of the world to catch up to this camera and release more accessories.
Lostman

Postby Yi-P on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:16 pm

I would assume the flash would work outside of the TTL metering range, in manual mode(s) ?
Yi-P

Postby DaveB on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Yi-P wrote:I would assume the flash would work outside of the TTL metering range, in manual mode(s) ?

IF you can set the flash to manual. Not an option with the RD2000. If you managed to tape up all the connectors other than the centre pin and the return (shoe frame) then that might work. But then the flash would just go off at full power (if it worked).
DaveB

Postby Lostman on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 pm

I'd rather get a flash that I don't have to rig to get to work.
Lostman

Return to Canon Corral