Old 5D vs newer 40D or other?

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Old 5D vs newer 40D or other?

Postby muzz on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:44 pm

I was chatting with a professional photographer I know, sounding her out with regards to upgrading from my 350D with 18-55mm and 70-200mm kit lenses. She suggested I wait for 6 months and she would be upgrading to the new 5dMk2 once "the problems were ironed out" and I could buy one of her 5Ds at "a good price" (yet to be negotiated).

The price notwithstanding (it will be a fair one), what are people's thoughts on the option to go "old pro" vs new "prosumer" (I was looking at the 40D). Waiting isn't really a problem as I have to come up with the cash anyway. I know I couldn't keep the EF-S lens with the 5D but my intention is to get better glass anyway.

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Re: Old 5D vs newer 40D or other?

Postby sydney1965 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:21 pm

Gday Muzz,
I have a 5D and 30D with EF-S lens. Depending on what your main target for shooting is should determine which camera you buy. 5D with 3 fps great for portraits, landscapes etc etc , 40D 6.5fps is a great motorsport camera. Im waiting another year or so for the 60D if and when it comes out to update from the 30D. Im mainly into motorsports so the faster shutter speeds is what im after.
Cheers
sydney1965

Postby DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:25 am

muzz wrote:I was chatting with a professional photographer I know, sounding her out with regards to upgrading from my 350D with 18-55mm and 70-200mm kit lenses.

70-200mm kit lens? All the 70-200mm lenses are 'L's. Do you instead mean a 70-300mm lens?

She suggested I wait for 6 months and she would be upgrading to the new 5dMk2 once "the problems were ironed out" and I could buy one of her 5Ds at "a good price" (yet to be negotiated).

What problems? It's fine if she wants to wait, but I'm not having any problems with mine.

The price notwithstanding (it will be a fair one), what are people's thoughts on the option to go "old pro" vs new "prosumer" (I was looking at the 40D). Waiting isn't really a problem as I have to come up with the cash anyway. I know I couldn't keep the EF-S lens with the 5D but my intention is to get better glass anyway.

I think the difference is mainly in the speed of the camera. The 5D is still an excellent camera, and the way depth-of-field works in FF is different from the 40D. But it's only 3 fps (vs. >6 for the 40D) and I don't think the AF is as good at tracking moving subjects. Otherwise, from an image-quality standpoint I think they're fairly similar.

The viewfinder on either camera will be a bit improvement over the 350D. Bigger and brighter. They can both take grid focussing screens if that's your preference (it's mine).

FWIW, my current gear is a 40D and a 5Dmk2. They're both coming to Antarctica with me on Saturday: when I'm back in February I will probably have further feedback.
DaveB

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:29 am

DaveB wrote:
muzz wrote:I was chatting with a professional photographer I know, sounding her out with regards to upgrading from my 350D with 18-55mm and 70-200mm kit lenses.

70-200mm kit lens? All the 70-200mm lenses are 'L's. Do you instead mean a 70-300mm lens?

Dave,

I suspect that the "kit" reference relates to the 18-55 only, and is merely a juxtaposition error.

The price notwithstanding (it will be a fair one), what are people's thoughts on the option to go "old pro" vs new "prosumer"

I'm a little confused at the reference to "old pro" here. While both of the 5Ds are excellent cameras, and are used by many pros, neither of them are actually "pro" level cameras; both would be termed as prosumer.

But getting back to the OP''s question, I think that the wrong questions are being asked. The real questions should relate to whether or not, and if so, how well, the original 5D would satisfy his needs. If that comes up in a positive context, then he needs to then assess how well the alternative cameras being considered also address those needs, and based upon a comparison of those answers, a decision can be made.

Putting that another way, if one were to ask if the release of the 5D II makes the 5D any less of a camera, I would suspect that the answer to that would be a resounding no.

My only reservation over the purchase of the older 5D, being pre-owned, would be items like its shutter count: how much duty has this camera seen? If the asking was seriously good, then ok, but those are variables that need to be determined based upon a physical inspection of any such pre-owned camera.

FWIW, my current gear is a 40D and a 5Dmk2. They're both coming to Antarctica with me on Saturday: when I'm back in February I will probably have further feedback.

Sounds like an interesting trip. What sort of weather proofing steps are you taking wrt the cameras, and what steps are you taking to insulate the batteries from the colder temperatures I expect that you'll be encountering?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:02 pm

gstark wrote:I'm a little confused at the reference to "old pro" here. While both of the 5Ds are excellent cameras, and are used by many pros, neither of them are actually "pro" level cameras; both would be termed as prosumer.
They're both valid cameras for coverage by CPS, if that's any definition of "pro".

DavidB wrote:FWIW, my current gear is a 40D and a 5Dmk2. They're both coming to Antarctica with me on Saturday: when I'm back in February I will probably have further feedback.

Sounds like an interesting trip. What sort of weather proofing steps are you taking wrt the cameras, and what steps are you taking to insulate the batteries from the colder temperatures I expect that you'll be encountering?

I've diverted this to a separate thread.
DaveB

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:43 pm

DaveB wrote:They're both valid cameras for coverage by CPS, if that's any definition of "pro".

If it's good enough for Canon-san, it's good enough for me. (Herr Canon didn't seem quite right, for some strange reason).

I've diverted this to a separate thread.

Good idea; thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:55 pm

I would probably go with a new 40D or 50D than spend the money on a 5D second hand. If your friend is a pro then the cameras will have taken a lot of photos and although the they may look good physically it is likely that they have seen some serious wear and tear.

The 40/50D will be a great move up from a 350D and neither are a slouch when it comes to image quality either.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:52 pm

I am very pleased with newly acquired 40D, and at $1080 (AUD), it's a steal. 6.5fps purrs. Having said that, with the exception of my 10-22mm, my other lens are L grade EF lens, in anticipation of an upgrade to full frame, sometime, somewhere. 5D Mkiii maybe, 6fps, weather sealing, etc etc... :wink:

If the 5D was cheap enough, it may be the go, but the current price of the 40D makes it an outstanding buy.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby muzz on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks for all your comments.

DaveB wrote:70-200mm kit lens? All the 70-200mm lenses are 'L's. Do you instead mean a 70-300mm lens?

My mistake with the lens description - I didn't have the lens with me and embarrassingly got it wrong :oops: . It is actually a Canon EF 55-200mm 1:4.5-5.6 II USM. When I bought the 350D the kit only came with a silver body and I wanted black so we did a bit of re-arranging and this is the lens I ended up with.

DaveB wrote:What problems? It's fine if she wants to wait, but I'm not having any problems with mine.

She didn't say and I'm none the wiser!

gstark wrote:I'm a little confused at the reference to "old pro" here. While both of the 5Ds are excellent cameras, and are used by many pros, neither of them are actually "pro" level cameras; both would be termed as prosumer.

I guess that is just my take on the fact that my friend is a professional and it's her "old" camera vs me being a consumer wanting to upgrade to something that I perceive as an "enthusiastic amateur" camera. This is an entirely uninformed perception and I'm sure there are horses for courses camera-wise, so those pro's using 40Ds please don't take offence!! :lol:

gstark wrote:My only reservation over the purchase of the older 5D, being pre-owned, would be items like its shutter count: how much duty has this camera seen?

She has 2 camera's, one which was mainly a backup and so had much less use than the other and the price of each will be reflected accordingly. I have no idea how many actuations they have or will have done by the time of sale.

When the offer was made to me, I had never considered looking at a 5D due to price, and hadn't really considered buying second-hand either, so was looking for a human perspective on the choice rather than simply basing it on specifications alone - you've given me that so thanks again. I still haven't looked into the expected price but she believes (reasonably so I think) that the price of 5Ds will drop dramatically as the 5DMk2 takes a greater hold in the marketplace.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby dwpolette on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:52 pm

I have the same dilemma.
I think I might sway towards a second hand 5d. Better high ISO image quality, and the added bonus of FF.
The FPS doesn't really bother me at this stage. Also not too fussed about it being second hand, as I was under the impression 5d's were built to be fairly rugged.
dwpolette

Postby muzz on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi and welcome dwpolette - good to see another WA representative.

Looking forward to some shots of your spectacular part of the country. How about we organise a WA mini-meet and all come to stay at your place! :wink: :lol:

I hope you'll post when you finally get your 5D and see if you made the "right" decision (I think I could live with either the 5D or the 50D myself).
muzz

Postby dwpolette on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:26 pm

muzz wrote:Hi and welcome dwpolette - good to see another WA representative.

Looking forward to some shots of your spectacular part of the country. How about we organise a WA mini-meet and all come to stay at your place! :wink: :lol:

I hope you'll post when you finally get your 5D and see if you made the "right" decision (I think I could live with either the 5D or the 50D myself).

Well I'd be happy to host a mini-meet. Albany certainly gives you plenty of opportunities for some great shots.
Currently building a new house and hope to have a room as a mini-studio. The Strobist blog has really inspired me.

I change my mind constantly, now I am without a camera as my 400d is sold I am going to have to be very patient to wait till the right second hand 5d comes along, as I know with the wonders of the internet I could have a 50d at my door within a day. :?
dwpolette

Return to Canon Corral