canon ef 35 f1.4L

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

canon ef 35 f1.4L

Postby dervish on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:03 pm

I've been hanging out for the 35L for my 40D, which takes it to about 50mm, as I have always wanted a lowlight lens. The fastest lens i have is only a 2.8 and often, indoors i find that its not fast enough even with the iso pushed up. Has anyone got any experience with this and what do you think about this as a low light prime for all occasions? Also where can i get one for a good price, i know its a crazy time to be thinking about getting one with the dollar being worth nothing. :x
dervish

Re: canon ef 35 f1.4L

Postby DaveB on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 pm

By all reports it's an excellent lens. Optically and mechanically (with USM full-time manual focus, etc).

By the way, on a 40D it's equivalent in field-of-view to a 56mm lens on a full-frame camera. The theoretical "standard lens" length for a full-frame camera is actually 43mm (the diagonal size of the frame) which would be a 27mm lens on a 40D. So if you want to experiment with fast "standard" lenses you could also consider the Canon 28mm/1.8 for _significantly_ less money, or even the 24mm/1.4 (the MkI) for about the same money as the 35mm/1.4.

My own fast lenses are currently 50mm and 85mm f/1.8 models, and although I considered the Sigma 30mm/1.4 and Canon 35mm/1.4 for a while, my recent addition of a full-frame body has pushed those down the "lust list" a bit.
DaveB

Postby dervish on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 pm

DaveB wrote:By all reports it's an excellent lens. Optically and mechanically (with USM full-time manual focus, etc).

By the way, on a 40D it's equivalent in field-of-view to a 56mm lens on a full-frame camera. The theoretical "standard lens" length for a full-frame camera is actually 43mm (the diagonal size of the frame) which would be a 27mm lens on a 40D. So if you want to experiment with fast "standard" lenses you could also consider the Canon 28mm/1.8 for _significantly_ less money, or even the 24mm/1.4 (the MkI) for about the same money as the 35mm/1.4.

My own fast lenses are currently 50mm and 85mm f/1.8 models, and although I considered the Sigma 30mm/1.4 and Canon 35mm/1.4 for a while, my recent addition of a full-frame body has pushed those down the "lust list" a bit.

Whats the Sigma 30mm/1.4 like?
dervish

Postby aim54x on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:51 pm

dervish wrote:Whats the Sigma 30mm/1.4 like?

Crop sensor ONLY! I dont like it (personal opinion) but people who own them tend to like them.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby adam on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:53 pm

When I got the 35L on 30D, I was very happy.
When I put it on full frame, I'm even happier.

It's the lens that is always on my camera, I really love it.

I went to Paris with only this lens, and did not feel in need.

If you are not planning to use full frame, then why not the sigma 30mm f/1.4? :)
People who have it, love it, and costs a lot less too.

But who knows? Maybe one day you will buy full frame and.... the 35L..... so nice~~~~
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Return to Canon Corral