Getting rid of fungus on an old lens

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Getting rid of fungus on an old lens

Postby garyr on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi folks,

I am wondering if it is expensive, or even possible, to get rid of fungus inside an old lens? I have an opportunity to get a Canon 70-210mm/f4 (circa 1987) for cheap. It does however have a bit of fungus. Would it have to go in to Canon or is there somewhere in BNE that could do it?

Not a great lens by today's standards maybe, but cheap enough to cover the gap in my arsenal until the lotto gives it up for me and I get a 70-200 f2.8.

All advice greatfully accepted.

Thanks
GaryR

40D, 24-105L/F4, 50/1.8, no talent
garyr

Re: Getting rid of fungus on an old lens

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Gary,

Apart from the beard, have you considered the type of mount this lens might have?

The date suggests that this might be an FD mount, which, to my knowledge, is not compatible with the EF/EFS lenses that Canon currently use.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby garyr on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Yeah, thanks Gary, it is an EF mount. I have not physically seen the item yet but apparently the fungus is more like a nose hair than a beard ;)
GaryR

garyr

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Gary,

Ok, that's good regarding the mount.

Do you have an opportunity to visit and play with it?

Is the price low enough for you to take a risk?

Often you will find that nose hair (beards even) or dust on internal elements has little, if any, effect on IQ. Sales people make a big fuss over this (as they do over megapixels) and while yes, it's ideal to get a lens that's clean, if the price is right, then perhaps the risk may well be minimal.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Bugeyes on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Possibly the best camera tech in the country works out of his home in Petrie, he was leitz, Germanys head technician before he emigrated. He's also an authorized canon repairer and is noted for his fungi removal...

http://www.camerarepairs.com.au/findus.htm
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I have my doubts about the former.

....Albert Einstein
Bugeyes

Postby garyr on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:57 am

Thanks Gary - yeah for the price it is worth a risk
Bugeyes - much appreciate the pointer, Petrie is just up the road from me. If the fungus is a problem I'll be sure to look him up. And I'll definitely bookmark his page :)

Thanks again
GaryR

garyr

Return to Canon Corral