Canon 10D drivers for Vista

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 10D drivers for Vista

Postby johnmc on Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 pm

After 'upgrading' my PC to Windows Vista I found that there were no drivers available for my (apparently 'prehistoric') 10D suitable for versions of Windows later than XP!

A thorough Google only turned up lots of reports of this problem, but no solutions. After a bit of experimentation I managed to get things working - for anyone else having similar problems, here's the solution:

Download the windows XP drivers from Canon

Run the .exe which will extract them to a folder

Plug your camera in and let Windows fail to find a driver (takes a little time) - then select the Advanced option to find one and specify the folder where you extracted the XP drivers - make sure that the "Search Subfolders" is ticked.

Let Vista do it's thing and voila! your 10D is now working under vista - at least enough for the EOS Utility to download the shots - I haven't tried the remote shooting etc. just yet but will keep you posted.

Keep in mind that Canon don't actually support this and I'm not guaranteeing it in any way - but it worked for me :)

Hope this is of help to someone out there

Cheers

John
Canon EOS50D, 17-40mm f4 L USM, 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, 50mm f1.4 USM, 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4-5.6 & various other bits ;)
my flickr photostream
johnmc

Re: Canon 10D drivers for Vista

Postby DaveB on Sat May 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Why do you need drivers? Only for remote shooting and for setting Owner info and date/time in the camera, surely.

Nice find on getting that to work: well done!
But I do feel obliged to point out that people should really be using a dedicated card reader.

Camera as reader:
  • Needs funky drivers and Canon software to get at the photos.
  • Is very slow at transferring files.
  • While working uses battery in the camera.
  • Cameras are not designed to be robust card readers.
    It's like using a Rolls to get the shopping - they don't cope too well with bumping into trolleys.
USB/Firewire CF reader:
  • No drivers required on any modern operating system.
  • Card appears as a normal drive: directly accessible to any and all software.
  • Much faster transfers than the camera.
  • Reader costs $10-$50. Compare to the cost of a camera.
    When your card reader dies you'll only be out a few bucks.

Cheers
DaveB

Re: Canon 10D drivers for Vista

Postby johnmc on Sun May 31, 2009 12:00 am

DaveB wrote:Why do you need drivers? Only for remote shooting and for setting Owner info and date/time in the camera, surely.

It's a stop gap until I get a replacement CF reader - my last one (which did just about every card format available) gave up on me recently :(
Canon EOS50D, 17-40mm f4 L USM, 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, 50mm f1.4 USM, 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4-5.6 & various other bits ;)
my flickr photostream
johnmc

Return to Canon Corral