Canon 400D Built-in flash does not fire off

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 400D Built-in flash does not fire off

Postby tkle18 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:03 am

Hi.

Not sure if there is any easy fix but my Canon Built-in flash will pop-up when try to take pictures indoor but then the Flash will not fire? (Note: It work perfectly about 2 weeks ago) I also borrow my brother external flash 430EX to test and it's working fine, any suggestion/advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks
tkle18

Re: Canon 400D Built-in flash does not fire off

Postby mozzie on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 am

Hi

I am guessing you aren't getting an error message? the one I am thinking of is 'error 05' - if you are then thats one thing. I have had this happen to me a few times (generally when i am using manual mode not so much on auto). For mine it goes away (most times) if i leave the flash popped up and turn the camera on and off a few times (the number of times commensurate with the mood of the camera)>

I've had my 'baby' (my 400D) taken to Canon to get the error 05 message checked out and they weren't able to find anything wrong with it. Also check around the flash to see that there isnt any grit or what not around.

Not sure if that helps
mozzie

Postby aim54x on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:44 pm

With your camera Mozzie, didnt we find that sliding a hairclip to trigger the micro-switch on the RHS of the hotshoe acted to reset the flash as well? It has been a long time since I have used your camera/come across the problem.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby tkle18 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:36 am

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. My camera does not have any error message. When in Auto mode, the flash pop-up but when shooting it didn't fire... I have tried with the 430EX again and it work fine... I am not sure it work fixing it or not?

Subject: RE: Canon 400D Built-in Flash does not fire off

Hi can be many things popup flashunit contact, flash tube ,flash cirquit or worse main cirquit.

May have to put it in for a quote.

Cheers Evert
tkle18

Postby Chaase on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:04 pm

This is a long shot and to be honest probably wont fix it, but still worth a try just in case the software has got corrupted.

Update the Firmware, it's a simple exercise and at least will rule out one issue.

Bruce
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby tkle18 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks for all reply. I have another play with it last night and as described before the flash is able to pop up as normal but will not fire. However if I partially close the flash by pushing it near shut (or about 1/3 the way down to shut) the flash WILL fire???

So there must be something got loose???
tkle18

Return to Canon Corral