40D Mirror problem

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

40D Mirror problem

Postby garyr on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi all,

A while since I've been here, busy trying to get through the GFC and all, whew. Anyhow, took my 40D out the bag a few weeks back, rattled off a few sporsts mode clicks, and mid-way through, the shutter sounds different, huh?

Looks like, after less than 10k clicks, that my mirror unit has crapped itself - pics are black, shutter sounds muffled, mirror does not lock-up. Tried new battery, lens, resetting to default, no joy. Called Canon, told it might be the mirror unit, must send it in and be prepared for $650 bill. Sent an email to Canon customer service......not happy Jan....no word back. To say that I am furious would be an understatement - two years, two months and a few days old, babied all it's life, stored in controlled humidy cabinet when not in use, still got the original LCD protectors I put when I got it, ffs!

Any advice or suggestions welcomed. Not sure if it is worth fixing.

Hope you have a happy festive season all, enjoy the time with friends and loved ones, take care!

cheers
Gary
GaryR

40D, 24-105L/F4, 50/1.8, no talent
garyr

Re: 40D Mirror problem

Postby ozimax on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:48 pm

Gary, sorry to hear your grief. Hopefully you can find a cheaper solution. Don't let it get you down mate, enjoy your Christmas.

Next time buy a Nikon? :lol:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby garyr on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks Ozi :-) And don't think I am not considering a Nikon :x Appreciate the good wishes.

I reckon I'll hand the family 'tog duties over to the 11yr old - she consistently gets better shots than I do with her fujifilm f2000 - until I get this sorted out.

You take care and have a great Christmas too!
GaryR

garyr

Postby surenj on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:34 am

Gary, This is a major irritation to say the least. At least you have a backuop fuji...

Hope you get this sorted.

As a point of interest, would an extended warraty have covered for this?? [I generally consider these extended warraties to be useless although I got sold when I bought my camera and TV!, Never again...]
surenj

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:32 am

Fingers crossed for you. Sucks that your mirror/shutter unit has died. Hope that something comes good for you,
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby garyr on Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:29 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts. I dropped it in at the Canon service centre yesterday, with a nicely worded letter, so we'll see what comes of it. I do suspect that an extended warranty would have covered this - but never thought it would have been necessary considering the relative low usage that my baby gets. I'll post back when I get anything further - just in case anyone else goes through something similar.

Cheers
GaryR

garyr

Postby photomarcs on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Hey Gary!

Sounds like somethings definately not right here, Canon should cover it under extended warranty, but i'm not sure if the shutter is covered ( sensor isn't covered by warranty in most instances, not so sure about the shutter)

but, upon return.. try this program http://www.astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx ... eSupport=1

It's called EosInfo. Tells you the exact amount of shots you've taken, although its a third party application, that may expose Canon if they claim your shutter use as otherwise.

All the best hopes and fingers crossed for you mate.
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Postby surenj on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks for this extra info Marc.

Fingers crossed for you Gary. Do tell when you get a result.
surenj

Return to Canon Corral