Urgent but simple 7D question (I hope).

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Urgent but simple 7D question (I hope).

Postby muzz on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi guys, I've been trying to work this out but I'm wondering if the 7D allows the half shutter press to lock AF and also exposure. I have registered the central AF point and the camera starts metering and AF locks but as I recompose the exposure changes also.

I have gone through the manual but may just be overlooking it.

Hopefully this is simple - I've been working through the custom functions but haven't pinned it down.

Cheers, Muzz
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Re: Urgent but simple 7D question (I hope).

Postby DaveB on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 pm

Have you tried going to C.Fn IV-1 (Custom Controls) to change the shutter button to AE lock?

I don't have mine here to test for you, but I'm pretty sure that's the right area.
DaveB

Postby DaveB on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Hmm. That might take AF off the shutter button (are you ready to use the AF-ON button instead?).
Otherwise maybe you just want to use the '*' button. It is the AE Lock button after all...
DaveB

Postby muzz on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks Dave, I was "resigned" to do that (use the AE lock [*])- I say resigned because I'm sure I've been able to do it before. Then again it might be something that occurs as a preset in some of the "automatic" modes or program modes if that's what they call them. I'm not sure now, and just trying to make sure I get myself sorted before tomorrow morning.

Glad to find you online - appreciate your help.

Cheers, Muzz
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Return to Canon Corral