Canon 5D Mkii as a sports camera

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon 5D Mkii as a sports camera

Postby ozimax on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:25 pm

The 5D Mkii has been oft maligned for it's 'antiquated' focussing abilities. I shot an NRL trial game last Saturday night from a loooong way up near the grandstand and was very pleased with the results, in dim lighting, at night. (I wasn't able to secure a touchline media pass although I tried to do so.)

The joys of a FF camera (as opposed to a 1Dxx cousin) is a much larger, cropable image. I realise it's only 3.9 fps, but if you're careful, you can get a good series of images to choose from even at this shooting speed.

Here's some results, unsharpened or processed except for re-sizing:

President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Canon 5D Mkii as a sports camera

Postby padey on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:53 pm

There is not doubt that you can capture a handful of nice action images with a 5DII. But having gone from a 1D3 to a 5DII, I'm just glad that i don't shot any sports.

I tried to capture some BIF on a recent trip in Israel and I could have drawn that picture quicker then the 5DII took to focus lock. Where as with the 1D3, you didn't have to think about focus and tracking.
Andrew

Canon make photocopiers and stick lenses on them....
padey

Postby zafra52 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:01 pm

It must be my eyes, but I think these
photos could be sharper.
zafra52

Postby ozimax on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:34 pm

padey wrote:There is not doubt that you can capture a handful of nice action images with a 5DII. But having gone from a 1D3 to a 5DII, I'm just glad that i don't shot any sports.

I tried to capture some BIF on a recent trip in Israel and I could have drawn that picture quicker then the 5DII took to focus lock. Where as with the 1D3, you didn't have to think about focus and tracking.

Point taken. I would one day like to have a go with a 1D Mkiii just for fun, coupled with the 70-200 F2.8. Having said that, I wouldn't swap the image quality of the 5D for any digicam, at least not now.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Canon Corral