Canon EF 85mm F1.8

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon EF 85mm F1.8

Postby ozimax on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:37 pm

I purchased this lens for last week's trip to Thailand. I like to travel ultra light eg one lens does everything. To say I'm impressed with this lens is an understatement. It is phenomenal, and really shines for low light portraits and shallow DOF video. Bokeh is smooth, external flash is basically no longer needed, (at least attached to a 5D and ISO 6400).

As with all prime lenses, it does require a tad more maneuvering (sp) to get the framing correct, but I can highly recommend this lens for travel.

Would I liked to have had the 70-200 at times? For sure, but at +40C most days in Thailand, the weight reduction was noticeable and welcomed.

Here's a few from the loungeroom last night.

Grandson

Better half

Nephew
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Canon EF 85mm F1.8

Postby DaveB on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:11 pm

I also have this lens, and for simply walking around photographing it's a joy to use. One of my favourite lenses.
Strongly recommended!

As a non-L lens you don't get the ET-65 III hood included by default, but you should get it anyway. Not only will it improve your pictures by reducing flare, it will also help physically protect that huge front element.
DaveB

Postby Big V on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:21 am

Agreed, I love mine and it cant be beat for low light work where you are not allowed to use flash. This is my go to lens for the Fringe type activities. It is such a good value lens.
Canon
Big V

Postby Doctor on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 pm

DaveB wrote:I also have this lens, and for simply walking around photographing it's a joy to use. One of my favourite lenses.
Strongly recommended!

As a non-L lens you don't get the ET-65 III hood included by default, but you should get it anyway. Not only will it improve your pictures by reducing flare, it will also help physically protect that huge front element.

Big front element on the f/1.8? Your not thinking of the 1.2 are you?

I commandeer my mates 1.8 all the time, i love that lens, just need to get the coin to buy one for myself!
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby DaveB on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Doctor wrote:Big front element on the f/1.8? Your not thinking of the 1.2 are you?

No, it's not THAT large, but it is fairly exposed.
DaveB

Postby aim54x on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:28 pm

DaveB wrote:
Doctor wrote:Big front element on the f/1.8? Your not thinking of the 1.2 are you?

No, it's not THAT large, but it is fairly exposed.

58mm (if I remember correctly) and right at the end, just inviting fingerprints :twisted:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Canon Corral