Canon ERR-01

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon ERR-01

Postby hrpremier on Thu May 06, 2010 11:34 am

Last weekend I went on a weekend trip away and while attempting to capture some family portraits I got an Err-01 appear on the 40d.

I believe it relates to a bad contact between the Body and lens. If I take the lens off and re fit it this does not seem to assist in the operation of the camera. I found I I turned it off for a period it would continue to work for a number of shots ie 3-5 and then the same problem would occer. I have, at the suggestion of a local Canon Rep, cleaned the contacts with a swab and metho but this has failed to rectify the problem. Before I take it back to the place of purchase to send to Canon is there something else I should try.

Also how long do Canon usually take to rectify theses kind of issues/ I have a wedding to shoot on the June long weekend and fear I will not have it back in time. I do have a back up camera organised, which now may have to be my primarey camera, but now I need to find a back up back up :?

I also purached the extended Warranty Canon offered and at time of purchase and the receipt states 48 month extended warranty. Does this usually mean 48 months total, or an extra 48 months on top of the normal Canon Warranty. Purachsed on the 27 April 2008 so its a week outside the 48 months since purchased so hoping its 48 months on top of the original canon warranty :(

Any help, advise and or recommendation is and will be appreciated.

Jase
Guess What! ........I Have A Fever........And The Only Perscription........Is More Cowbell.
hrpremier

Re: Canon ERR-01

Postby hrpremier on Thu May 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Quick bit of research has suggested its because of breaking the flex cable, inside lens, and solution is changing flex cable.

Does this ring-a any bells with anyone ?

Have not got another lens to try on body. Joys of having kids and a wife with her priorities all wrong. :wink:

Jase
Guess What! ........I Have A Fever........And The Only Perscription........Is More Cowbell.
hrpremier

Postby DebT on Thu May 06, 2010 3:37 pm

In the past I received same error on my 40 D for two dirrent reasons 1- the sigma lense was at fault (I have since got rid of it) 2. Do you have a battery grip fitted ? as I received same messge when tey worked loose
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby hrpremier on Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Yah. Just took off my sock and shoes and relaised 48 months is actually over a period of 4 years, not two as I first thought. :roll:

That leaves me plenty of time as my warranty period is a total of 5 years
12 months canon and 48 months (4 Years) Extended.

YAH FOR ME!

No battery grip fitted. Genuine Kit Lens 18-85mm IS.
hrpremier

Postby aim54x on Thu May 06, 2010 11:54 pm

I'd get it sent off ASAP, technicians are going to be backed up with work (they always are) so take your camera to your retailer (the one you bought the extended warranty with) and then tell them (nicely) that you really need the camera back for June....if they are worth their salt then they will try to get it done for you. Don't delay it, and dont bug them about it for at least two weeks.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 pm

I'd take Cameron's advice on this. He has had a recent long (good) saga with Nikon and has plenty of experience. :cheers:

On the more negative side, you may end up getting a 50D as a replacement... :x
surenj

Postby aim54x on Fri May 07, 2010 12:55 am

surenj wrote:I'd take Cameron's advice on this. He has had a recent long (good) saga with Nikon and has plenty of experience. :cheers:

On the more negative side, you may end up getting a 50D as a replacement... :x

I am not really calling on this experience, but more so on the insight I have gleaned for three weeks organising camera repairs for customers since I started full time work.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Fri May 07, 2010 11:25 am

aim54x wrote:I am not really calling on this experience, but more so on the insight I have gleaned for three weeks organising camera repairs for customers since I started full time work.

didn't realise that you are working fulltime with Cameras!
surenj

Postby aim54x on Fri May 07, 2010 11:56 pm

surenj wrote:didn't realise that you are working fulltime with Cameras!

I just finished week 3 at Foto Riesel...it has been pretty good so far
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Canon Corral